1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ancona Roo tryouts - one winner, two losers - help me decide

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Amyable, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    I have 3 15-week Ancona roos from Sandhill Preservation. Only one can stay, the other two are headed for freezer camp. We are processing next week, I won't be able to get my hands on a SOP by then, so who is the best specimen?

#1 seems to be the heaviest, #2 has the biggest comb. #3 is the smallest of the bunch, I think he's out of the running. They are all rather obnoxious and flighty, I don't see much difference in their temperaments.

Bachelor #1
    [​IMG]

Bachelor #2
    [​IMG]

Bachelor #3
    [​IMG]

All three, L to R #3, #2, #1.
    [​IMG]

2. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    Is there a favorite of yours or a nicer roo?

3. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    There's no way I could choose. I just hate to see roosters culled. I know it's a fact of life, but it still saddens me. Can't you keep them all? Or find homes for the others? Sorry, I'm not trying to make you feel bad. They are all so pretty I think. [​IMG]

4. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    I think you should keep the smallest one if you cant keep them all. And i need help woth my rooster coop. I have a RIR/White rock roo mix and he is starting to be really mean to my other hens and rooster. I need to know how big i should build this coop and ideas. We have mettle roofing and poultry netting, what else to i need? Soon my golden laced polish rooster will need to be seperated to so can i put them together or not? Thanks in advance

5. Amyable

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    I just can't afford to feed extraneous roosters. But they will be feeding my family this winter. [​IMG] All 3 are stand-offish, not mean but certainly not friendly; I think that's the breed (I had a heck of a time catching them for pics.) I have 3 Ancona hens, and planning on hatching chicks next year. That's why I want the best looking roo of the bunch.

poultrycrazy, why do you vote for the smallest? I was leaning toward #1 'cause he's meatier. Any reason?

6. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    I just like smaller roos

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If I had to choose between the three, I'd pick #1

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know little about the breed, but #1 to me is very handsome. He has six points on the comb, but I don't know how many Anconas are supposed to have.

9. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    I like number 1. I'm sure you have done this already, but if it were me I would read the standered over a few times and pick the one that fits closest to the standered.

10. Amyable

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Quote:That's the trouble; processing day will come before I can get my hands on the library copy of the Standard. I can't find the info online - anyone have a copy they could reference for me? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by