Ancona Roos or pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by madchickenlady, Aug 16, 2013.

1. madchickenlady

madchickenlady New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Bristol, UK.
    [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]Hi, I'm new to this site and to chicken keeping! Ive been a frequent visitor to the site whilst researching what type of chickens to get, and found the info invaluable so finally joined. I've four chickens that I've raised from one week old. They are now 13 weeks old, and I've a horrid feeling I have three Roos and one pullet! Typical. I love them all.
    So I'd welcome any views on whether my Anconas are boys or girls. And also if three Roos will live happily together with the girl, once they've established their pecking order.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, it looks like you have three roosters. There's a lot of red comb for a thirteen week old bird, and I see shiny green feathers in their tails. The roosters will likely be happy living with your pullet, but the pullet will not be. The roosters will mount her too often, and she will loose feathers on her back/head/neck. Also, the roosters may not get along with each other if they have a hen to fight over. I'd seperate the roosters from the hen, or just keep on rooster.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I see all cockerels.

4. madchickenlady

madchickenlady New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Bristol, UK.
    Thank you for your replies. How awful. I live them all, but don't have room for any more hens so will have to get rid of the Anconas. They are so delightful. I only hope I can find a good home for tem as I certainly couldn't cook them.:(

5. madchickenlady

madchickenlady New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Bristol, UK.
    Meant love them all. :/

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    All cockerels.

7. pastryman

pastryman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2012
    You are not the first with this problem. If people don't eat their chickens, or at least the cockerels, then I think they should not buy chickens if they do not know the sex. And still that don't eliminate the problem.

Statistically 50 % will be cockerels. And you only need 0-25 % cockerels. This is a part of keeping chickens. If you buy all hens, it only means that someone else is killing cockerels.

8. madchickenlady

madchickenlady New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Bristol, UK.
    I know you're right Pastryman, and I know I'm being squeamish but I just feel I couldn't eat anything I've raised. Maybe I should as I'd at least know they'd had a good life and a clean death. But still can't do it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  9. pastryman

pastryman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2012
    And I know it is not easy if you only got a few animals.

I had 14 chickens in one flock. 8 where cockerels. Now there are 4 cockerels and more will have to go soon. They get so hard on each other, that I am really just doing them a favor.

But to me, killing a chicken is not that hard any longer.

Because, they are chickens. Eating meat, killings small animals and pecking on each other. And not caring about one from the flock being gone. I think I could kill one in front of them and they would drink the blood. Of cause I don't.

Killing a goose/gander is hard. They are really intelligent. They can live in pairs, and no males have to go. They miss each other for weeks if you kill one from a small flock, and can be scared when they see you after you took one. If geese hear or see young goslings alone in another pen. They stop eating and mating for days. And just call and try to get over and help the gooslings. Killing a cockerel is easy if you have a flock. It is obvious that some have to go.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  10. If you can own roosters where you live you can keep them all! They wont fight with 0 hens! hens will make them fight, I say keep them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by