1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ANCONA WINTER!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kseeley18, Dec 9, 2016.

1. kseeley18

kseeley18 Just Hatched

Jul 2, 2016
    I have 4 ducks, this is our first winter, my 3 blue/black swedish seem to being doing fine but my 1 Ancona is shivering, she is constantly wiggling every time i see her, are Anconas not hardy winter ducks?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have found some individual ducks are not as cold-hardy as others. I moved my entire flock of Runners into a "barn" area I made in the walkout basement, because a number of them shivered and did not thrive below freezing.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If the Duck was thin going into Winter or if its just her?

Straw helps to keep them warmed and off the ground......

Yes, she should do as well as the others.....Add more protein to the diet.....Dry Cat food before bed....

Cheers!

4. kseeley18

kseeley18 Just Hatched

Jul 2, 2016
    Thank you! She is the youngest of the bunch about 8 months old where the others are estimated to be about 18 months(adopted) I have a house for them they all refuse to go in it but its full of shavings and cracked corn for coaxing them in but they choose to lay outside. But my next plan of action is getting bales of hay and making a walls for them, they have adequate coverage and shelter they just choose to not use the best of it. They'd rather sleep under my porch than in their house and it makes me a bit nervous but even under the porch I have layered down shavings for them.

5. kseeley18

kseeley18 Just Hatched

Jul 2, 2016
    Thank you! She is the youngest of the bunch about 8 months old where the others are estimated to be about 18 months(adopted) I have a house for them they all refuse to go in it but its full of shavings and cracked corn for coaxing them in but they choose to lay outside. But my next plan of action is getting bales of hay and making a walls for them, they have adequate coverage and shelter they just choose to not use the best of it. They'd rather sleep under my porch than in their house and it makes me a bit nervous but even under the porch I have layered down shavings for them.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That is the thing with Ducks......They do not go to bed like Chickens do at night.......You really should herd them into the Duck house and have a Door to close them in at night......They do not require food or water once in bed.......They stay warm and safe....

Cheers!

7. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Be sure they have a draft free coop to go into.
    Offer water (outside for less mess) 24/7 if you can. Feed at least 16% protein and whole corn. The corn will help build up body fat which will help keep her warm. I start to increase their corn intake in Oct when the weather starts to change. That way they are ready for the cold before it gets here.
    Hay or straw bedding, deep if you can, helps too. They will nestle into it and it will keep them cozy

Anconas as a breed are VERY cold hardy. I'm in Maine and we have cold, snowy winters. I rarely lose one to the cold. It will be below zero and snowing and they will be out "foraging" in the snow. I only leave them cooped if it's below zero, snowing, AND extremely windy. Otherwise they are outside every singe day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by