Anconas - female lead flock

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Oct 22, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    A book I am reading says something about Anconas being a more female lead flock. Have you found this to be true? Have you had any difficulty mixing Anconas with other breeds of ducks. I want some Anconas, but wonder how they would do in a mixed breed flock. My ducks are very much lead by the head drake.

2. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    My Anconas are perfectly at home in my mixed breed flock. I don't see anything unusual about them, they are calm, sweet and fit in great! Go for it!

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    My hen fits right in with my others. Im fixing to get a drake soon....

4. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I read somewhere that they are a breed of duck that doesn't really care much about pecking order...even the lowest ranked duck is treated with respect.

5. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I have 2 hens and a drake. My chocolate hen has always been the boss, but not in a bossy way. She is just the most adventurous. He is a gentleman & lets her be in charge. I don't know if this is true in larger flocks, but the hens seem to run the show here.
    I read somewhere that they are a breed of duck that doesn't really care much about pecking order...even the lowest ranked duck is treated with respect.

I think this is true - for the most part. Every breed will have a few that aren't the norm though.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by