1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

and before breakfast...icky!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck walk, Jul 2, 2010.

1. duck walk

duck walk Songster

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    I just came in from letting the ducks and geese out...I happened to move one of the feeders when they were all gatheed around waiting for a fillup and a release from the night pen...a mouse ran out...one of my Pekin drakes grabbed the mouse and proceeeded to squish it in his bill...after about four or five squishes, he swallowed said mouse....eeeeewwwwww! I can't imagine that critter in his crop...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Songster

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Crazy, huh?!?! My chickens LOVE mice--if they see one, they grab it and then spend the next few seconds running around the yard, ripping it out of each other's mouths and tearing it to shreds before gobbling it down! You'd think I don't feed them and give them treats, but apparently they think the fuzzies are the tastiest! [​IMG]

3. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    May be gross, but all I have to say is "Good Duckie!!!!! " [​IMG] I hope mine eat them by the dozen.. not that I ever see them anymore with my cat around, but still, I know they are there...

4. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us 10 Years

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    when moving wood around I will come across a rat nest from time to time well I tos them in a bucket and feed them to my muscovys. they love them I ahve a white hen that will come and take them out of my hands. plus everytime I go in their pen she comes running up to see if I ahve anymore. LOL

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Protein is protein, yes?[​IMG]

6. duck walk

duck walk Songster

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    yep...protein is protein...I think it just surprised me...fast mouse, faster drake! Goes with the bugs and slugs...it was an appetite suppressant for me at day break...I do need something to control the mouse population...say a beautiful snake out there is a.m. also...hope he was hungry and on the hunt for a mouse...he did disappear down a mouse hole...very colorful dude, not sure of the identity but non poisonous for sure...no spade head...I had two rat snakes entertwined in the chicken wire stalking something last week...had to beat my neighbor with a stick to keep him from killing them...he came to buy some eggs and almost messed his britches when he saw the snakes...wanted them dead...he is such a ninny...

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yay, duck walk! Snakes are more than underappreciated. Glad to see you know the difference! And, I agree, there are some scenes that are harder for me to take, before breakfast or coffee.

But I won't go into detail . . . . [​IMG]

8. cwhit590

cwhit590 Songster

Nov 6, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG]

That's what I was thinking last night when I saw one of the Pekin hens go after and catch a frog! Didn't know they eat mice too! [​IMG]

9. bock

bock Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. AdamD77

AdamD77 Songster

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    I remember my two adult runners went for a frog when it jumped out from near their paddling pool, one of them grabbed it but the frog squeaked and it freaked the ducks out into letting it go - lucky frog [​IMG] I wasn't even looking at the time so all I heard was a horrible loud squeak, I almost had a heart attack! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: