And....I have identified my killer this morning....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Heathero617, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    I clearly have a raccoon who killed 6 of my birds in the last 2 weeks. I FINALLY was able to see some tracks. Going to see if i can find a live trap today that i can place inside the pen once the birdies are locked up for the night.

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I saw where you had posted that you lost some... sorry to hear that and happy that you found out who it was so you can remedy the situation.

Good Luck

3. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Thanks, i was almost sure it was an opposum because I had pet raccoons as a kid, and was always lead to believe they were scavangers unless it came to shellfish and aquatic food, guess my trying to convince myself that "Bandit" and "Rocky" couldnt hurt me in this way was futile. )O:

4. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    Keep us posted and let us know when you capture the chicken murderer...[​IMG]

good luck

Shelly

5. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Remember they come in bunches so keep trapping after you get the first one.

6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Just sayin' good luck and DO YOU HAVE A PLAN for catching something other than the raccoon? I've ended up catching many "other" things in my traps and clearly the worst to deal with are the skunks. Animal control up here says "you trap it, you take care of it" so just make sure you have a plan in place for things like that. I still have an out of commission trap in my front yard that smells like ... well... I'm not touching it and it's been 6 weeks or so (no the animal is not still in it... just wanted to clarify that).

GOOOOOOOD LUCK!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  7. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Well i'm prepared, but the feetie prints indicate rackety coon so heres to hopin i dont end up stinky!

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:Ok. I just wanted to put that out there as a thought, as the first thing I ever caught in my trap was a skunk. I was horrified. And that's what I catch most of the time, anyway, so I've gotten quite good at it.

I dispatch them with a .22 figuring at least I know the smell is at its peak then. I then don double gloves and bring 3 trash bags and some zip ties. I triple bag them and zip tie tightly each bag. I put my outer gloves in the last bag, then zip tie again. I wear a long sleeved hoodie with hood up, long pants and crocs so the whole outfit is washable and covers most of my body. And Fels Naptha laundry soap on skin AND in the clothes washer does wonders for the smell.

9. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Ok. I just wanted to put that out there as a thought, as the first thing I ever caught in my trap was a skunk. I was horrified. And that's what I catch most of the time, anyway, so I've gotten quite good at it.

I dispatch them with a .22 figuring at least I know the smell is at its peak then. I then don double gloves and bring 3 trash bags and some zip ties. I triple bag them and zip tie tightly each bag. I put my outer gloves in the last bag, then zip tie again. I wear a long sleeved hoodie with hood up, long pants and crocs so the whole outfit is washable and covers most of my body. And Fels Naptha laundry soap on skin AND in the clothes washer does wonders for the smell.

Naptha is always in stock in my house as i am very allergic to poison ivy and it dries it up really fast. I'm hoping its not a skunk, i havent seen one or smelled one in the year i've been here. I've got 10 ft walls on my pen and unless they are climbing a tree beside then climbing down a steel sided wall on the interior i believe it to be a coon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by