And... I just put cedar chips in my coop...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by angie3881, Sep 27, 2011.

1. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last night I went to the store and decided to splurge on cedar wood chips instead of the usual pine I put down. I love the smell and have used them on a couple other ocassions. Now I am seeing on here that they are bad and toxic!

Does anyone else use cedar? What if only use it once or twice a year? I probably won't ever use them again, but I really had no idea!

I swear!! I cannot win!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think, as long as you're chickens are not chicks, you will probably be OK, but I never use them because of the toxic oils in them....I think the baby chicks are vulnerable, but the adults will be OK.

( I know, they smell great!)

3. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish I could use cedar but I have been told by every single person I have talked to not to do it. The oils in it are toxic. I have no idea if adults are immune to it or not but I'm not taking the chance and finding out the hard way.

4. angie3881

Quote:Of course I have 5 babies in there! [​IMG] Crap! [​IMG] I do not have the cedar in the nesting boxes... just on the ground. They sleep in a nesting box with a broody hen.

5. OkieCluck

OkieCluck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    SE Oklahoma
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but a buddy of mine just brought me a huge bag of Black Walnut shavings. He's building a dining room table and thought I might use the shavings. Does anyone know if Black Walnut is safe to use in a coop or nesting box? Thanks!

6. OkieCluck

Jun 9, 2011
    SE Oklahoma
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but a buddy of mine just brought me a huge bag of Black Walnut shavings. He's building a dining room table and thought I might use the shavings. Does anyone know if Black Walnut is safe to use in a coop or nesting box? Thanks!

Sorry about that post, I did a search and found some results. I think I'll skip the walnut!​

7. angie3881

Quote:Sorry about that post, I did a search and found some results. I think I'll skip the walnut!

At least you checked before using. I just willy nilly threw in cedar because I like the smell. Oops!![​IMG]

8. OkieCluck

Jun 9, 2011
    SE Oklahoma
    At least you checked before using. I just willy nilly threw in cedar because I like the smell. Oops!!th

Well, actually your post made me check. [​IMG] I'd just told the wife this morning that it should be fine as I'd only heard of cedar causing a problem before.​

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Sorry about that post, I did a search and found some results. I think I'll skip the walnut!

I know walnut shavings can really make horses ill......Good decision...Ya never know.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by