And I repeat....I'm not a builder! It is finished!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WestKnollAmy, Oct 31, 2008.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    But I thought I needed to build a swanky new tractor for my beautiful white Araucanas so off I went.
    I didn't bang my thumb as much this time and I had several drills with different attachments so it has gone faster but still, I haven't squared anything.
    DH just laughs at me as he is building his "so perfect!"
    I still have a few things to finish on this one but I thought I would go ahead with the pix to let you see where I have gotten in a short time. And I must say, though I haven't done a much better job on this one, I did learn a lot from the last big red contraption I built.
    Hey, like the colors?

[​IMG]

I attached what I thought would be the frame. Oh, it looks easy enough on paper but I knew not to be fooled by that!

[​IMG]

I started putting it all together. The chickens learned a few new choice words. It just can't be easy, can it?
    [​IMG]

Ran out of yellow paint and had to use the stuff left over from the house shutters. Hey, I think it looks okay together. I really did not want to drive back into town for more yellow paint!

[​IMG]

I thought I did pretty good by using the scrap pieces as wedge placements. It made it a bit more sturdy.

[​IMG]

I put the roost in the middle. That way I could put the food near the door and the nest box at the back.
    Really, now do you see a pattern where I don't build things well. Even with plans!

[​IMG]

I wanted a half door so I could open it and not have to reach in too far. I am short and didn't want a door on the end where I may have to crawl halfway through this thing.

[​IMG]

It is approximately 10 ft long and 4 ft wide. I wanted to use skids but mine didn't turn out very well. Though when it was only a fame I was able to push it around very easily!
    I plan to put hardware cloth on it and the PVC corrugated roofing across the coop top and most of the run top. Two sheets look like it will do it.

[​IMG]

I need to put a door on the side. I always forget that! And doors are really difficult for me.
    Except this back door. It turned out well, I thought!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was even able to put that vent in there! Okay, DH had to help with that just a tinny bit!
    But look what I have done so far! It is so much fun!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2008
  2. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    That's just great! I hope one day I can build something by myself.

Derby

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Go you! That looks great!

You ARE a builder! [​IMG]

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Swedish colors, love em!

5. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Thanks!
    I really am not very good at building. I get ideas, they seem really good in my head and I can put them on paper okay but then when i start building nothing turns out like I actually planned.
    Well, like this air flow vent I decided to allow at the top. It will be inside the wire run part and the PVC corrugated roofing will be over it so I figured it was okay to leave a big gap like that for some air circulation. The winters don't get very cold so I am not worried about heat loss overly much.
    [​IMG]

More photos to come!

6. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    You go girl! I'm proud of you!

7. dutchman

dutchman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    Lebanon TN
    You did a great job, you should be very proud of you'r self. Dutchman

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Looks fabulus.What kind f vent do yo use? I thought about using a vent/duct that i can open an close manually.

9. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I use a vent I bought at Lowe's for about $7. It has a little thumb tab to push it open on the inside but the outside the vents are sloped down so the rain will shed off.
    Wasn't hard to install (with a bit of help from hubby) and 4 screws hold it in place. We did drill 2 extra holes because it only had two.
    I really like it! There were many to chose from but this one seemed better for what I had in mind.
    [​IMG]

10. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    You're doing an excellent job. I don't have the guts to even try something like that by myself. [​IMG] I do hope you plan to cover the vent gap you left with hardware cloth or something to keep the little critters out. Metal window screen works well, too.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by