And I thought roosters only crowed in the morning....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amynbrent, May 19, 2011.

1. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Ok, growing up I always thougth roosters crowed at the break of dawn and throughout the day...wouldnt that be nice? I have one year old rooster that I've had for about 2 months and last night was the first night we actually got to sleep with the windows open. He started going at 3:00 a.m. non stop. We live in the country and I love it but 3:00 a.m.???[​IMG]

2. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    We sleep with a fan, so ours doesn't wake us up, but I know he's crowing already by the time I get up in the morning. They get a pretty early start, LOL!

3. ams4776

ams4776 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ive gotten my to stop early crowing by locking em in the coop at night. Now they are protected better and no more early crowing (which only bothered my dh and the inlaws) me and the kids werent fazed lol

4. ams4776

ams4776 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ive gotten my to stop early crowing by locking em in the coop at night. Now they are protected better and no more early crowing (which only bothered my dh and the inlaws) me and the kids werent fazed lol

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    LOL. Mine crow all day long. They have crowing wars I think. To see who can crow the loudest. [​IMG]

6. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:roosters crow all day long if they want and yes even in the dark, and also even when they can't raise their heads. I found out the hard way.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    3 o'clock in the morning? Either they are seeing some form of light, natural or man-made or something is disturbing them. Just MHO.

As for crowing at other times.... 7 PM seems to be about my roo's favorite time to have a crowing contest. One has the beautiful, baritone, "traditonal" sounding crow. The other sounds like asthmatic fingernails on a chalkboard. [​IMG]

8. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    He is locked in the coop at night with two hens and 34 eight week old chicks. We still have the heat lamp because it still gets pretty cold. He's definately an all day crower. He thinks he's a dog, everytime there is a bird or squirrel or even a car driving up the property next door he lets us know. I love him but 3:00 a.m. non stop???? [​IMG]

9. starlite101

starlite101 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Auburn, MA
    I have a 10 week old Black Cooper Maran that just started to try to make a noise of some sort this morning. It sounded as if a cat was stuck somewhere in the house. We laughed a lot watching him. I only wish I could keep him:( My town is strict with the no rooster law.

10. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    To a rooster, it's always morning somewhere!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by