1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

And just for fun

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Cynthia12, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I went out to take a picture of the black bantam..and wondered where all my others were, they were all in a nest box? All bantams except the blue..she's hangin with them for a while, a blue Ameraucana..the black bantam in question is in the back. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Black Roo [​IMG]
    And you don't want them to get use to sleeping and resting in the nesting boxes....Either block it off until they reach laying age...or....you can take a piece of heavy pliable plastic type (lice the ones that dog doors have or walk in freezers have) and put that over it with slits cut...it usually prevents them from walking in and sleeping, unless they are laying

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Thanks! I know they will make a mess. I have no idea they were all in there, but, it did all of a sudden get windy outside for about 15 mins. They usually use the roost in there at night. Hoping it was a one time thing? Silly babes...I don't want to have to keep cleaning a nest box for sure!
    In my big coop for my big girls, I am trying to train them to not sleep in the boxes. There is one girl that gets up first..the head honcho, and they just don't want to be by her. A few are laying, so, I just take them off every night when it's dark. They can't see who is beside them. I am hoping they will get the idea..it's my young pullets that are doing this. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by