? and just rambling-I was just going to mention fascination at 6 yo Americana hen still laying blue

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickchoon1, Apr 1, 2015.

1. chickchoon1

chickchoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    and thought of question I have had-Is it normal for a chicken to eat poop?Have never noticed it happening before(which means NOTHING given my wandering mind!) but was just opening chick pen up at daybreak the other morning and saw 5 yo BR hen "Burb"(only 10 lb overweight bird I have) eating some poop. Is this a concern, does anybody know? From my dog experience its not a worry but with fowl I don't know.

2. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

Well, there is a lot of disease carried in poop. I would be concerned for the hen. Maybe she is lacking something in diet. Try a vit/mineral supplement in their water a few times a week.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    No, not a concern. There is a lot of partially digested nutrients in poop, chicken or other. By eating each other’s poop they share probiotics and develop flock immunities. It would be unnatural if they did not eat poop.

4. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    Are they eating their own poop or some other kind of poop? It's not common for them to eat poop, but there may be worms, bugs, larva, and/or undigested seeds in the poop that she's going after. If it's chicken poop she's going after, I might consider worming your flock.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

X2.

6. chickchoon1

chickchoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    X2.-----My computer/skills suck so can't multi quote but anyhoo-------------- I would like to think this and(and it was chicken poop she was attacking) but am due to do yearly worming anyhow. Some choose not to worm and I do it 1x a year, usually late spring, but its nice to have the opinion of it not being a worry. thnx!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by