And just when the Silver Appleyards Thought Spring was Near...

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
They sure are cute doing it. My ducks would most likely just sink down into the snow and stay there. Of course when it got deep it was frigid too.
These like you got melt better too. Those spring temps spoiled us all. We're back to winter also but only an inch or 2 of snow.

3bird

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2017
Rockland, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
They sure are cute doing it. My ducks would most likely just sink down into the snow and stay there. Of course when it got deep it was frigid too.
These like you got melt better too. Those spring temps spoiled us all. We're back to winter also but only an inch or 2 of snow.

Little Mouse gets stuck sometimes in a hole in the snow, but for the most part they swim through it. :)

BantyChooks

Pullarius
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Aug 1, 2015
Our seven yearling silver Appleyards have become old hats at winter--true Mainers for sure! But after some VERY warm temps recently, not to mention lots of swimming and even some foraging, they were a wee bit surprised to wake up to this.

Too cute! My ducks have been surprisingly adaptable to the snow; they seem to plough right through even stuff 2/3m deep. It's really funny when the call duck I have tries that because he just gets stuck.

3bird

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2017
Rockland, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Wow they are beautiful. I'm learning so much here. I had no idea they could go out in snow!
Our guys have a covered run attached to their duckhouse, where they spend most of their time in the winter, but they do spent a couple hours a day out in the snow (if they want...and they usually want!). :)

Top Bottom