And out they go

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Uzuri, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Songster

Mar 25, 2009
    Well, I might have to medicate myself to sleep tonight. I moved the "little" guys on out. I've built them as tough a house as I can imagine, and they're locked up in it. They don't have a rain-shedding roof yet, but they have a secure wire one (I've tied a tarp over the whole thing for now). No pics today; maybe I'll get them tomorrow.

Quite a show this evening, though. We situated everything, then I went into the run to take a couple "volunteers" and put them on the ground. The "omega" hen and one of the dumber rank and file presented themselves and I took them out, and they ran around and pecked and did chicken things... the other 5, including the roo, just watched.

The current alpha hen was the first to jump out on her own, and the first of the Welsummers came after that, but the Roo, the other Welsummer, and one Wyandotte just didn't want to come out for anything. The roo kept perching on the edge of the door and almost falling out--then he'd panic and run to the back of the coop. He'd peck the ladies on the head, trying to get them to go out first, then perch and almost fall again. Then he'd sit down and contemplate all that grass, just out of reach.

Eventually the Wyandotte jumped out, and immediately the roo started chasing the last hen until he booted her out the door. Well at that point, the large audience gathered assumed that he would pop right out. Nope. He sat down and checked out his new bachelor pad and looked very satisfied with himself.

That only lasted so long, though. He started peeking out the door, checking out all the hot chicks... then he he'd look at the ground again, and get scared and run back to the back corner again--and start peeping!

Finally, probably and hour and a half after I had the first chicken on the ground he came out. Just in time for it to get dark.

My rooster's a dork.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    And they'll do just fine.
    Sleep well. [​IMG]

3. Uzuri

Uzuri Songster

Mar 25, 2009
    They were certainly all there this morning when I went to let them out [​IMG]

4. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    [​IMG] Loved your description! I can just picture Sir Dork now![​IMG]

5. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Loved your description! I can just picture Sir Dork now! [​IMG]

6. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    ooops I'm seeing double this morning. If anyone knows how to delete one of my messages....please go ahead and do so!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Don't worry they will figure it out. Mine were hesitant at first now it's a stampede when I open their pop door. I'll try to get a recent pic tomorrow as they come flying out.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Uzuri

Uzuri Songster

Mar 25, 2009
    They were out WAY faster this morning, though I didn't wait for the show since I had to go off for work. I just know that they were all all the ground by the time I'd gone back in and changed and come down for breakfast.

So they're not quite the dumb clucks that they first appeared [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: