And she didn't eat 'em!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, May 26, 2010.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I have 23 baby chicks in my dining room. As babies do they grew really fast so we are trying to keep up until they are ready for the junior coop. Right now they are in a dog crate. And they can get out through the bars. So we did what we had done before, an extra line of twine around the bottom layer of bars and cardboard boxes up against the sides. You know how this is - its like three days before they are too big to get through the bars.

Anyway, I was working with the dog to get her to accept these new arrivals. Poor puppy she just wanted to play with them! [​IMG] She licked one's butt and flipped him end over end! But she was working on knowing that these are not toys and not snacks!

W went out for a few hours and what do you know? We come back to a complete chicken break out!! They had somehow managed to move the one box juuuuust far enough away they could squeeze out. And about 15 of them were out popping all around the dining room! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And there was one sad looking doggie [​IMG] Giving me the worst look!! [​IMG] But she didn't eat a one of 'em! Good Girl!!! [​IMG]

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Oh, thank goodness! You better give that doggie a big ol' wet kiss!! lol [​IMG]

3. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    [​IMG]

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I gave her one of the big girls' eggs! I can't imagine how upset she must have been to have them all over the room popping and pooping!!! [​IMG] I wonder if she tried to herd them!!

Oh for a video camera!

5. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    awwww bless her!

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It would have been very intersesting to see what was going on in that room while you were away... So good that you had made prior attempts to train the dog...looks like it paid off...What luck!!

7. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    How do they find those little openings? I left an opening, the size of my fist, in the chicken wire. Walked to the front of the house and back. In that time, five chickens had escaped and were making the most of their newfound freedom.

Your story was hilarious. I wonder if the dog moved the box? Poor puppy was probably certain you would "blame the dog". He'd be the scape-dog and he had nothing to do with the crime.

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have WHAT in my yard? :

[​IMG] She licked one's butt and flipped him end over end! But she was working on knowing that these are not toys and not snacks!

[​IMG] Now THAT I would love to see... good thing she didn't think to test to see if they were squeaky toys. o_O

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  9. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    [​IMG] boy would I have loved to have seen a pic of that!... down boy!!!! good boy... cheep cheep cheep..... still laughing at the image in my head!

10. I have WHAT in my yard?

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:[​IMG] Now THAT I would love to see... good thing she didn't think to test to see if they were squeaky toys. o_O

She did try to step on one and it obligingly squeaked!! But, I had told her no!.. But we were howling over her licking its butt and looking at me like "Why can't I eat 'em they taste like chicken!?" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The next day I was upstairs and she could not see me, she walked into the room and walked over to the bin and looked in then I swear she rolled her eyes like, "Dang they're still here and I STILL can't eat 'em"

BTW - good to see you EC!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by