And so it begins....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheSheriffswife, Jan 28, 2011.

1. TheSheriffswife

TheSheriffswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Hi guys! Just thought I'd share my excitement since I have no one else who understands and my hubby just smiles and thinks I'm nuts.. [​IMG] Anyway, I just bought my Octagon 20 ADVANCE EX digital egg incubator package.. I have 20 + hatching eggs coming first week of March from ChickenScratch Poultry ( BCMarans, Lavender ORP, BLR Wyandottes, Ameracaunas, and Olive Eggers) I am gonna give incubating a shot..I won't get my hopes too high but it would be great to get at least 50%? I also have 6 chicks coming at the end of March from MPC just to be on the safe side [​IMG] I am building a large brooder in a few weeks and I am ordering a 10x14 Garden Shed that I amgonna be insulating and converting into a chicken house..which will be here in April..and DH just agreed to help me fence in the side yard to make a safe enclosure for the birds..I just want to thank all you guys for all the great info on these boards..I have been reading everyday faithfully for the last year or so and have learned almost everything from here..I will share pics when I become a new chick mom. I'm sure I will be posting questions as I get going with ..Wish me luck! I will be busy for the next few months. [​IMG] Deb

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Good Luck and happy chickens!

You are ahead of me in all this. Hubby and I have decided to wait for chickens for a couple more years. I need to get a garden going, some trees planted, fencing, a shed, ... all before I take the chicken plunge. [​IMG]

3. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Good luck! This site is great for learning all you need to know - i am setting some eggs on Valentines day for my first attemot!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] and to the world of chickens!

Eggscellent choice of an incubator! I have 3 of those, myself. [​IMG]

BYC is where I learned most of what works for me with my bunch o' chickens. Such wealth of knowledge, so many helpful BYCers.

I commend you for doing research ahead of time - so many people get seduced by chicks in a feed store, buy a few, then come here asking, "What do I do now?". Good job!

5. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

ORRRRRR so many get an incubator, eggs, turn it on, and haven't done any research on incubating.

6. Reg

Reg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    Quote:I did just like you for years. Always something more important to do. In the end it becomes clear, there will always be something to do.

When asked at the turn of the year what plans i had for 2011 I said . " i'm having chickens in my garden".

Misses looked a bit shocked. [​IMG]

Saying it was the best thing i could have done, gave me the kick up the butt i needed. I set a dead line to have hens by the end of March.

So far i'm on course, its coming along nicely.

Ground ready. Coop has been started & i have been to see a couple of farms that sell point of lay birds.

Two year seems a long way off. How about building the garden around your chickens ? [​IMG]

Good luck

Reg

7. KC n KY

KC n KY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grayson, KY
    Quote:[​IMG]

Hope you enjoy the wacky world of incubating and over all chicken keeping as much as I do [​IMG] I am currently in lockdown, with 11 chicks hatched [​IMG]

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    You will have a blast incubating and that incubator is "idiot proof" which is what I needed. I just did my first hatch at the beginning of the year. I would like to suggest one thing though. Go to the Brinsea website and order the Spotcheck thermometer. My eggs hatched late and I am pretty sure that it was because the internal thermometer for the incubator is at the top of the bator not down where the eggs are so I think the eggs were incubating at a lower temperature. I am going to get one before my next hatch so I can be sure of the temperature down where the eggs are. Also, if you haven't registered your incubator with Brinsea do it now. It is simple, you just go to the website and register the serial number of your unit with them. That way if you have problems with it in the next two years, Brinsea will fix it. Mary (The Warden) was the one to give me the heads up on that. Good luck and when you get to lockdown just remember, sit on your hands! [​IMG]
    and [​IMG]

9. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    Quote:I did just like you for years. Always something more important to do. In the end it becomes clear, there will always be something to do.

When asked at the turn of the year what plans i had for 2011 I said . " i'm having chickens in my garden".

Misses looked a bit shocked. [​IMG]

Saying it was the best thing i could have done, gave me the kick up the butt i needed. I set a dead line to have hens by the end of March.

So far i'm on course, its coming along nicely.

Ground ready. Coop has been started & i have been to see a couple of farms that sell point of lay birds.

Two year seems a long way off. How about building the garden around your chickens ? [​IMG]

Good luck

Reg

I agree! better sooner than later, and you can plan your garden around your chickens! If you have a chicken tractor(google for images), you move it around to the different areas you want things to grow, once the chickens have that section cleared and well fertilized you move them to the next station.
    http://www.small-farm-permaculture-and-sustainable-living.com/how_to_grow_vegetables.html Scroll about half way down to see what I mean.

10. TheSheriffswife

TheSheriffswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Quote:Hmmm...Thank You for that advice! i actually just ordered it today. I wonder if I could add the Thermometer to my order. And..the reason I ordered this bator is I also need something idiot proof. [​IMG] I will also register it as well. I will need lots of support during lockdown, patience is not my strong suit! but for the babies I will do it.. I have read so many horrible stories of what happens if you dont.. Oh by the way how many (percent) hatched on your first try? Or any ideas what I might expect if I follow instructions..LOL with 20 + eggs? how many babes do you think i may end up with?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by