And the nestbox wars continue!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Dec 14, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Four nestboxes, 13 hens.

Brigid is in her favorite box, Maggie is in hers. Lilith just got settled into a recently vacated box, only to be run off by Sunny. Poor Lilith, life stinks at the bottom of the pecking order.
    Lilith was checking out the one open box when Snowy came in and ran her off. Snowy doesn't want the one unoccupied box, she wants the one that Brigid is in and is not afraid to be vocal about it.

Maybe I need to add another box, as much as I hate to.

Or maybe I just need to stop being so involved in my hen's bizness?

2. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I know the feeling I have 3 and about to add a 4 myself. We have 13 laying out of the 22 so far. I watch them do the same thing drives me nuts. Using the cat litter boxes but running out of room since we need the large size. But since i know they are going to go broody come spring i have to have removable nest boxes. Well, good thing hubby is making coop bigger next year.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What I don't understand is that all the boxes are identical. I show them the one unoccupied box and in their opinion it's no good. WHY??
    It's the same color and size as the others. It has the same amount of hay and golfballs as the others. It's the same dang thing! [​IMG]

4. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    I'm using milk crates sitting on a shelf in the coop. At the moment, we only have three laying hens, and three boxes... so there are plenty. Of course, if they had their way, they'd always all use the same one, of course. Right now, the head hen has gone broody; and adopted the "preferred" box, so the other two girls are forced to use the others... except that they decided to stop laying, for some reason. Everyone was laying fine until Sky decided to become a mama, so not sure what's up with that?!

5. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Lil Bit is sitting on some eggs in everyones favorite nest box! So now I have to collect eggs more often so they dont freeze!

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    My 10 fight over 1 nestbox Daily ..... If another is in it at the time they just climb on top of them and screech in their ear til they give up and move,.... Chickens are something else aint they.....

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Maybe Sky is stealing the other's eggs to add to her clutch. Yes, I've seen hens move eggs. It's a delicate process, but somehow they manage it. Or maybe your other two want to get in on the broody action and are thinking of joining Sky?

8. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I know I have one or two that insit on getting in a box with a sister in it. Litterly almost sitting on top of sister. Luckily these are big enough two can fit. I had this happen and 2 boxes were open. Go figure stupid chicken. Luckily she went into another box they usually do.

Yes, you are minding their business too much. [​IMG]

9. Too many hens and not enough nest boxes ? Heck, if you gave them ALL a nest box it would be the same.

I think they just like to fight over their favorite place to lay an egg. I have a 16 box nest box and i have take the bottoms out of

the ones on the bottom, so now I only have 8. It was getting ridiculous, I had hens SLEEPING in the nest boxes overnight !!

It was, na na na na nah, I go this box and I am the only one that can use it, bug off !!

I have seen two hens in the same box, three at times. Oh, I think it is just one of those "girl" things.

10. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Its all about location. 4 identical boxes, but one gets a little less light, is further from the door, is ...... add whatever could be slightly different here, and that is the most desireable one. Mine want the box next to the wall, bottom right corner, If I get 15 eggs I will get 8 out of that box, and 1or 2 in the remaining 5.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by