And the winners are?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Our Roost, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    A few inquisitive minds and questions have brought forth some great ideas and shed a whole new light on ways to water and feed your flock . I am relatively new to this web site and the feedback in search of answers to concerns has been fantastic.
    Managing ones free time to raise chickens is something some people dont have a lot of. I personally have many other interests besides chickens! Spreading that time around cant be all about the chicks.
    I started a thread a while back inquiring about rain barrels and nipple feeders and had done a lot of online researching to make my task easier than changing water several times a day for messy birds. The results and feedback have been phenominal! Everything from where to purchase barrels, nipples, screening, piping, cleanliness, contamination, and could baby chicks use it was covered. Needless to say, I used all these thoughts and ideas to construct my rain barrel water feeder sucessfully!
    And the winner is YOU for all your support and answers!
    THANKS!

2. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Do you have any pictures. We all love pictures [​IMG]

3. Our Roost

Our Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    ScottsVille, michigan
    Aaah, the love of power! I love your quote. Not just yet on pictures. Need to tinker with downloading from cell phone to computer file. I will post on this forum topic as soon as possible. I promise to share the results. I think a lot of chicken lovers will appreciate this concept.
    You have Jersey Giants! What color? First time owner of this breed come April. Dont know wether to keep them for eggs or meat just yet. I've heard they are pretty docile? Any feedback would be appreciated.

4. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Yes, I like quotes. Someone on here has one that says: "whoever said you can't buy happiness, forgot about little puppies" haha, I love that!!!

I have Black Jersey Giants. They are nice birds, and pretty friendly. I only had two roosters, but niether of them were agressive at all. Their eggs are bigger than what I remember my Rhode Island Red's being, but the Giants didn't lay at all for me this winter. I did not have a light on for them, so that was my fault. As soon as it started getting lighter they started laying eggs again. So, partly my fault for not adding additional light, but I usually don't have to with buff orp. or RIR's... sure they slow down their laying without the extra light, but they don't stop all together like these girls did. I also can't believe how broody my Giants are. I probably have six broody right now!!! Overall I think they are OK, I would not be against buying them again, but honestly I think I like RIR's and buff Orp. better. I have never butchered one, and don't plan to. In my opinion, you just can't beat a Cornish-cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by