1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

And Then My Chick Was Upside Down...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MarissaC, Mar 15, 2012.

1. MarissaC

MarissaC Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Near Waco, TX
    So, lets start this off with a little story.
    I sell chicks. Lots of chicks. Most of my buyers are very polite, tell me I have some cute chicks (usually accompanied with an "awww...hunny, get me that one!")
    This last sale was different.
    First, the buyer lied to me about how much silkies were selling for at a local feed store (trying to get me to sell mine to her cheaper). Then, the buyer got lost on the way to look at my chicks (which usually isn't a big deal). She said "I'm on ___ rd"..Me: "I'm sorry, I don't know where that is, but it does sound like you got off the interstate too early"...Buyer: "How long have you lived here?"...Me: "About six months"...Buyer: "Oh well, you should know about ___ rd. You've been here long enough!"...normally, that wouldn't bother me, but the buyer was just so snotty.
    So, eventually the buyer shows up and we are now looking at the chicks. The buyer picks one up. Pets it's head..

Then flips it over.

The buyer has the chick's feet inbetween two fingers and the chick is now flailing about upside down.
    The chick begins to peck the buyer's hand.
    "This is a rooster. I only want hens," the buyer says.

The buyer proceeds to tell me that due to an equilibreum (excuse the spelling) problem in roosters, when flipped upside down, the rooster will begin to peck and try to get right side up again.
    If it's a hen, it will stay calm and just hang upside down.

Of course, I was slightly horrified at first, but I didn't really know what to say. I also couldn't be like "YOURE WRONG"...because I had never heard of that before.

On top of being scared for my chicks everytime she flipped it upside down, she couldn't stop cussing, evaluating the quality of my chicks, and just...acting downright rude!!

SO! Onto what I really want to know...

Does that sexing method actually work or did I just have a really rude buyer that I should avoid in the future at all costs (haha)?

2. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    Oh My Gosh! I would have been so mad. I know the method she is talking about which is why most of the stores like TSC etc. won't let customers handle the chicks. I have heard that the only for sure method of sexing is actually looking in the vent and then you have to know what you are doing. I wouldnt have a clue what I was looking at down there. LOL

A friend of mine says you can lie them on their backs in your palm and then cover them up with the other palm so that it's dark. Then you remove your hand after a few seconds of keeping them in the dark and the females will be lay there all calm and even close their eyes like they are sleeping and a rooster will be trying to get up. Now.... does it work....? Who knows but the old timers swear it does. LOL I still wouldnt want someone to try it with my chicks though.

3. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    I would have just asked them very nicely to leave....Not like we are talking about a lot of lost money if they don't purchase any. It's one of those old ways people say you can sex chickens...kind of like when people say if you have heartburn you will have a baby boy...stupid stuff like that that has no real basis...

4. :eek:

ya the reason i dont believ in sexing chicks ways like that, if you have a really skittish or feisty hen it will be trying to get up, personally i believe that the reason they act one way or another is because of their personlaty, not their gender!

ya i would have been like "GET OUT OF MY HOUSE YOU IDIOT"

5. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    i would get all Mr T, like "I pity tha fool that flips my chickies upside down!"

poor babies, sorry for your horrific experience.

6. BBAcres

BBAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Yukon,Oklahoma

That cracked me up!

I would of been so upset she would of been kicked out. That's just crazy.

7. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Flipping them upside down was how TSC sexed the chicks in the pullet bin when I purchased. Didn't know you had to sex pullets! At least he was gentle about it and careful not to drop them.

8. griffinkid02

griffinkid02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Wow. I had honestly NEVER head of that method. I don't know if it would work or not, but it would still be very upsetting to me if someone just started manhandling my birds. Plus if she was just grabbing them and flipping them over then EVERY, SINGLE bird you've ever hatched would probably test as a rooster, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by