And Then She Was a He

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pdxblossom, Jul 19, 2010.

1. pdxblossom

pdxblossom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    My sweet Black Australorp . . . four weeks old which means only four - five more months until I get my first egg. Right?!? That comb thing is just, um, this season's best in style accessory for the ladies. Right?!?

Shall I paint the coop blue or pink?
    [​IMG]

Three little birds . . .
    [​IMG]

One of two sweet as can be Light Brahmas
    [​IMG]

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Sorry but that's definitely a cockerel. [​IMG]

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Yikes. Four weeks old huh,....cocka doodle roo...sorry! [​IMG] Especially if your IN pdx... [​IMG]

4. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    I think you're going to need a blue section in that coop. My 15 week Australorps have combs that are smaller than your 4 weeker. Sorry!

5. pdxblossom

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Guess it's time to enroll him in a RRP (Rooser Relocation Program)! He's so dang sweet though - and very advanced for his age (already roosting). This is gonna break my heart.

Thanks!

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I'm sorry you have to get rid of him. Darn Portland rules!! Try contacting Multnomah Co. 4H to see if you can find him a 4H home maybe...

Good luck!!

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Blue is a Guy Color. [​IMG]

8. pdxblossom

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I actually called the store where I purchased him to see if they had any ideas. They do have a Rooster Relocation Program (!!) and I'll be finding him a good home soon. Possibly even this weekend, though I don't want to let him go . . . I just don't want him to really bond with the girls and then pull them apart. Silly I know.

I'm going to pick up two new girls this weekend - hopefully around the same age as the Light Brahmas to make introduction easier. I'd love another Australorp and possible a New Hampshire Red, Barred Rock or Easter Egger.

Thanks everyone for their help!

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Congrats on finding some help with your RRP! With having such docile birds as the light brahmas, I'd skip the NHR - my personal experience is that they are far more aggressive birds....

Good luck with your new girls!! [​IMG]

10. pdxblossom

Jul 11, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I had read they were a bit tempermental, but last weekend I met three really great NHRs that were getting along famously with a pair of Light Brahmas. Thanks for the advice though! I guess I'll wait until I get to Urban Farm and see what's available in the 5 - 6 week range.

Thanks again for all of your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by