And then there was one...

Bookspryte

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Two weeks ago I purchased three Rio Grande turkey poults at a flea market. I've been keeping them in a separate brooder away from my chicks.

I was out of Friday and part of Saturday and thought everything was under control. Their water bottle was full of water, but failed to feed into the bowl. I don't know how long they were without water until I got home Saturday afternoon. To make a long story short, all three baby turkeys looked fine and were jumping to get away from me. I fixed their waterer and went to take care of my other animals.

When I went back to check on them, two were dead. And the sole survivor was looking at his/her friends and giving this sad peep. It was enough to break my heart.

My question is what do I do with this guy? I have 13 nearly 3 week old chicks that are smaller than him/her and 23 7 week old chicks that are much bigger.

Will he/she be OK alone or should I put him/her in with a group of chicks? And if I do, which group?

I've been lurking on here for weeks, but didn't expect my first post to be about bad news.
sad.png

Thanks for your help and sorry for the long post.

I would put him/her in with the smaller chicks.
I recently tried smaller poults with larger chicks and they were terrified, even though the turkeys were twice the size of the chicks. They aren't nearly as aggressive as chicks.
I have many times put my poults in with much smaller chicks and have never had them pick on the chicks. I have some 2 week old poults in with newborn bantam cochins right now! they all get along fine.

Back
Top Bottom