And then there was only one.

RuBee

Chirping
Nov 29, 2018
Central Virginia
I had been out of the chicken business for 20 years and decided to start again with a small flock. I purchased three two year old sex links in August. Two of them have died so I now have only one chicken. Should I get more or give her away and start over in the spring? She hasn't laid any eggs since I got her.

I would keep her and get new flock mates in the spring. After a mink killed three of my four laying hens last winter, Honey was all alone in her coop. She did okay, but didn't seem to get along with the Iowa Blues in another coop. I quickly let her return to her old, lonely coop. I bought two Salmon Faverolles chicks in the spring and let her get to know them free-ranging in the yard during the day. Now, Honey, Celeste and Camille happily live in the same coop and roost together.

I am sorry to hear about your loss, but it would be, in my opinion, a shame to give up on chickens. While she was an "only" bird, Honey became very, very people friendly. Maybe your girl will bond with you until she gets chicken friends?

Aw the poor girls. I recently lost one to a reproductive disorder. It's not a nice way to go.
Hens are social creatures and do need to be part of a flock, she would be alright on her own for a while though! Right now, she has someone who is looking after her well. You could keep her and IF she gets really lonely before you can get more - consider re-homing her then :)

Aw the poor girls. I recently lost one to a reproductive disorder. It's not a nice way to go.
Hens are social creatures and do need to be part of a flock, she would be alright on her own for a while though! Right now, she has someone who is looking after her well. You could keep her and IF she gets really lonely before you can get more - consider re-homing her then :)
Thank you for your suggestion. I have become attached to her. I'm hoping to find a few more chickens to add to the flock.

I would keep her and get new flock mates in the spring. After a mink killed three of my four laying hens last winter, Honey was all alone in her coop. She did okay, but didn't seem to get along with the Iowa Blues in another coop. I quickly let her return to her old, lonely coop. I bought two Salmon Faverolles chicks in the spring and let her get to know them free-ranging in the yard during the day. Now, Honey, Celeste and Camille happily live in the same coop and roost together.

I am sorry to hear about your loss, but it would be, in my opinion, a shame to give up on chickens. While she was an "only" bird, Honey became very, very people friendly. Maybe your girl will bond with you until she gets chicken friends?
Thank you for your suggestion and input. I have become attached to her. I'm hoping to find a few more chickens to add to the flock, but that may be difficult this time of year and who knows if they would get along. I used to let her out to free range in the yard when I was home and she would follow me around, but I spotted a chicken hawk a couple of weeks ago. It saddens me to keep shut up all the time.

I had been out of the chicken business for 20 years and decided to start again with a small flock. I purchased three two year old sex links in August. Two of them have died so I now have only one chicken. Should I get more or give her away and start over in the spring? She hasn't laid any eggs since I got her.
What happened the other two? Anything your remaining chicken might be carrying?

Good question. I'm not sure with the first one. Possibly egg bound. She was molting and had been laying rubber eggs. I discovered her sitting to herself, feathers ruffled, dirarhea, etc. Within 24 hours she was gone. I didn't know enough then to check for egg bound. One of the other chickens had similar symptoms and recovered. They had been eating bird seed from under the feeder. I have now moved the feeder.
The second one was egg bound. The egg burst leaving shell inside. I nursed her for eleven days. She had made a remarkable recovery so I returned her to the coop. The next morning she was dead. I think she was weaker than I realized and the change in temperature was too much for her body. I was devastated.

Back
Top Bottom