and then there were 8

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pipit, Mar 20, 2007.

1. pipit

pipit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Brooksville, FL
    [​IMG] My husband was outside by the chicken pen taking pictures of the chicks eating at the automatic feeder he made, when a large hawk swooped down and plucked up one of my Buff Orpington pullets!!! That's two chicks gone in as many days. We had a large net we had gotten to put over our fish pond, but instead, we put it over the pen. Now the only things that can get them would have to come from under the fence or through the fence. I know this is a learning experience, but I feel terrible for my poor little babies! Are there any other perils I should be aware of?

2. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    There are tons of predators that will dig under your fence, or tear through the wire if it's not strong enough. I would put one to two feet of wire on the ground around the run, and securely cover the top with a strong wire, not chicken wire.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh, I am sooo very sorry to hear what happened to your chick. And in front of your hubby! How awfull! :(As bigW sid, there are so many terrible things out there wanting to make a meal from the chicks. Last year, out of 5 ducklings, I have 2 left. Darned Hawks. I know...they have to eat too, but why not eat all the MICE!?? UGH! Glad you had the netting for the pen....that will help, just make sure it is secure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by