And then there were four

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jed1154, May 1, 2009.

1. jed1154

jed1154 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    My bantam that was sitting on 6 of her eggs has now broken 2. One was broken way early on, but the last one was broken today. I checked it out, and the chick is pretty much all there. It did have a little bit of a yolk sac left, but it had all its parts for the most part. I THINK they are about a week away from hatching. IM not sure how many a bantam can sit on at one time or why that one got broken and pushed away, but it did.

Now, when they hatch, how long until I can remove them from her and put them in a box with a heat lamp? I know you guys said to leave them with her, but they WILL end up dead if I do that. She is just in a next box in the coop. I dont have a place to put her and the chicks, only the chicks. IM not sure what to do with the chicks once they hatch as I havent had them from that point.

Tips?

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Then brood them like you would any chick you purchased. Take them from her when they have all hatched and are ready to leave the nest.

If she is a bantam, she is fairly small herself. Maybe you could put her and chicks in a cardboard box for a few days?

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  3. jed1154

Jul 10, 2008
    Thats an idea.

How do I know when they are 'ready to leave'? I mean, if it were up to me, id pull them as soon as a beak broke through the shell so they could do their thing in a box with plenty of room, but i dont know if thats good or not.

4. jed1154

Jul 10, 2008
    Once they start to break out of the shell, what do I do?

5. swedishfish

swedishfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    did you say that they would end up dead because your bantam would kill them? i'd watch them and as soon as you notice one has hatched, then grab it and put it in a nice warm brooder. I wouldn't disturb them while they're working on getting out of the egg unless you have an incubator you could put them in. If you have an incubator then I would take them before they hatch.
    But i don't really know, I just let my broodies do their thing and I haven't had any problems.

6. jed1154

Jul 10, 2008
    Im worried they will die because they will fall out of the nest box or something and the guineas or other hens will hurt them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by