And then there were two

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EastTexasHen, Apr 5, 2018.

1. EastTexasHen

EastTexasHen Chirping

Mar 20, 2015
    Palestine, Texas
    So today my runty little mottled cochin chick passed away. We’d been fighting pasty butt since I brought it home from Tractor Supply and I hoped it would improve but no such luck. All the other chicks are healthy and thriving and no pasty butt in sight. My problem now is that i know chickens can be particular about chicken breed dynamics.

Currently i have four silkie chicks, the two mottled cochin bantams, and one polish crested chick. I have more polish crested chicks coming in a few weeks from Ideal, and i might pick up a few more silkies once i figure out gender on my current silkie chicks, but my current predicament is my only having two mottled cochins.
    I’m worried they’ll be picked on as they get older.

Should i go ahead and order more mottled cochins now? Am I over thinking it and they’ll actually be ok? I hate that i’ve lost my little chick I don’t want to lose any others.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You will be okay. Getting more polish and keeping all your odd and gentle birds together is the best thing. Crested birds are the ones that shouldn't be kept as a single bird in a flock, nor should silkies be kept with more vigorous breeds. Sounds like you are putting together a good flock. You don't need more mottled cochins unless you want more.

EastTexasHen likes this.
  3. EastTexasHen

EastTexasHen Chirping

Mar 20, 2015
    Palestine, Texas
    Perfect! Thank you for putting my mind at ease :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: