And then there were two

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HelenB, May 11, 2010.

1. HelenB

HelenB Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2010
    Kitsap Peninsula
    I moved my four little 4 wk old GLWs out to the "big" coop yesterday, all was well this morning, it is a beautiful sunny day here on the Kitsap Peninsula, so DH and I thought we'd let them have a taste of the big world. The coop is actually a small chicken tractor with a wired over run outside the pop door. So, I crawled in there and he opened the pop door. All four wise little babies wanted to stay inside, so, DH opened the big door, and I was reaching into the coop to grab a "volunteer" to explore the grass and BOOM! here come the two dogs! They each managed to make off with one of the babies. When all the fuss settled down DH retrieved the one that we knew was out in the pasture, it was dead, and the other one dissappeared out there somewhere. I am sad but wiser by far. So, what I want to know is:

How do I make a dog proof chicken enclosure. We also have a predatory cat who may not tangle with them after they get bigger than he is, but that may be a while because he's a Big Cat.

I'm thinking electric fence, any other ideas?

Thanks,
    sad Helen

2. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    Dog kennel run with an electric fence around it. Sorry about your loss [​IMG]

3. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] sorry to hear about your loss, good luck on the new pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by