And this is why...

FeatheredRaptor

Chirping
Feb 17, 2021
Louisiana
This is why my chickens don’t get to free range. First hawk started to make a swoop... I jumped up heading towards the chickens. The hawk decides he doesn’t want any and heads to the tree on the edge of my property. Low and behold... there’s a second hawk. Any ideas what type of hawk this is?
96B9CD39-24C4-47B7-AA9C-108F8356BFFB.jpeg

I saw and heard two today as well. I babysit my chickens for the four or so hours they get to free range. I don’t mind babysitting them because I love to be outside. Even in the cold. I heard the hawk and saw two. They left as soon as they saw me get up. Mine were red tailed hawks.

The picture is a little hard to tell but it looks like a dark colored hawk with white stomach. Doing some googling it looks to me like a swansons hawk.

I saw and heard two today as well. I babysit my chickens for the four or so hours they get to free range. I don’t mind babysitting them because I love to be outside. Even in the cold. I heard the hawk and saw two. They left as soon as they saw me get up. Mine were red tailed hawks.

The picture is a little hard to tell but it looks like a dark colored hawk with white stomach. Doing some googling it looks to me like a swansons hawk.
Was looking up hawks native to Louisiana. It definitely wasn’t as pretty as a Swanson hawk. Looked more like a Cooper’s hawk to my untrained eye. My sister in law has lost several to a bald eagle.

We have at least one couple of red shoulder hawks here and I think also a pair of red tail too. My chickens haven't free-ranged in months and when I do let them out for exercise, my entire family is out babysitting because when it was just two of us, the hawk nearly took our favorite chicken when we were only 10 feet away. They are hungry, brazen, and quick.

Back
Top Bottom