And we have our first egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dinkabell, Mar 9, 2014.

1. dinkabell

dinkabell Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Yay we have our first egg! Woke up this morning and went to let the chooks out and my white Sussex was just sitting in the coop I was a little worried and went back to check on her and she darted out as fast as lightening! Low and behold she was just laying her first egg! Woop woop well done salt! Now it's just pepper and Julie's turn!!! I feel threatening them with a KFC bucket did wonders lmao!!![​IMG][/IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi and congratulations!

I am just getting back into keeping chickens and it is a tremendous thrill to find an egg in the nest box, particularly the first one.
    I got 5 yesterday and one of them was the first from one of my new leg bar pullets. I watched her all morning, trying out the nest boxes and going from one to the other and Harry the cockerel was supervising and giving his nod of approval for her chosen nest, then she kept picking up bits of straw and adding them to the nest to make it how she wanted it and then Emily, my original leg bar, came along and moved her out of that nest box and the process started again in the other box. I was so excited when I eventually saw her come out again and there was a lovely warm, perfect, blue/green egg sitting in the nest box.

What other breed/s do you have? I'm guessing pepper is black? Salt, Pepper and Julie seems like an odd series of names?

I have Margo, Matilda and Horace who are Exchequer Leghorns.

Dolly and Molly who are ex battery hybrids

Henrietta the Rhode Island red

Scranna Anna the Blue Haze.... she spends most of the day with her beak in the feeder but the rest of the time in the nest box laying, so I suppose what goes in, comes out!

Emily and Harry Houdini who are Cream leg bars

plus 2 new cream leg bar pullets that haven't acquired names yet and 3 bantum silkies/silky crosses one of whom is called Elvira because she has Elvis sideburns.... and a bit of a lady beard...eek! Hopefully the little fluffy girls are going to sit on some eggs for me when they are ready.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and share your excitement of that first egg.

Best wishes

Barbara

4. dinkabell

dinkabell Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Hi ya :)
    Yes it was very eggciting lol!!! This was our first egg from our new hens Salt is a Bason White or White Sussex? Pepper is a Rhode Rock and Julie is a Skyline.
    We got Julie first and my little girl named her lol and Salt and Pepper followed shortly after.
    Salt and Pepper have been squatting for the last 5-7 days so fingers crossed Pepper should be next in joining the egg laying gang! Xx

5. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Yahoo! That first egg is exciting! !

6. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi again Dawn

Sounds like you are going for a multi-coloured egg box like me. From what I've read, there is an 80% chance of you getting a blue/green egg from Julie. If you are anything like me, that will be even more exciting as I'd not seen coloured eggs before. My new cream legbar has laid another beautiful green egg today. They look so pretty in the egg box next to the brown and white ones and the blue one from a few days ago. I also got a double yolker the other day from one of my leghorns !
    I used to have some black rocks which I absolutely loved. I'm guessing they are the same as Rhode Rocks. They were really friendly and made good mothers.

I bet your daughter was even more thrilled to see an egg in the nest box than you were. I know it's what we keep hens for, but it does somehow seem magical!

Anyway, I hope you get more eggs soon and that Julie lays pretty ones.

Best wishes

Barbara

7. dinkabell

dinkabell Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Hello again!
    I was away today and told the other half to check the nest this morning but he said there was no eggs :( but I thought I'd go check tonight after I got in from work and low and behold Salt layed another egg....... And..... Pepper layed one too!!!!!! So we now have 2 lovely white eggs and a lovely brown egg now it's just Julie's turn! I feel the KFC bucket may have to have a little chat with her lol
    And yes she is or will be a blue egg layer as she is a hybrid chicken bred to lay blue eggs (apparently) hopefully it won't be long!

The girls Salt and Pepper seem to be more friendly now and offer come over for a scratch and pet which is so nice now! Julie on the other hand is getting a little to big for her boots! Anyway I will see what tomorrow brings :) hopefully more eggs!! :) xx

8. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    How EGG-Citing for you guys!! [​IMG]

9. 10erfamily

10erfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2013
    That is EGGS- Cellent ! [​IMG]

10. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    :D