1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

And you thought you had Egg and Owl problems..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by swampwander, Feb 2, 2009.

1. swampwander

swampwander Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Mims, Fl
    Posting this here because it doesn't quite fit anywhere else.
    This is a Great Horned Owls Egg. Laid last night, we think.

[​IMG]

This is where she laid it. It's a planter on the front of the main building for our government center. Nicely sheltered from the elements. Nice mulch to serve as nesting material.

[​IMG]

I am the ecologist for our county so it falls to me to deal with this. It takes time to get the necessary permits from USFWS to deal with the egg. No wildlife rehab person will touch it. This is our second year doing this. My first thought was to get rid of the planters. Folks like the half dead palms in them, so they have to stay put. Ugh.

2. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Just let it hatch and then when the owl starts attacking people to save her baby they will decide they will rehome the owl!

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Gosh, it looks so tiny.....

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

[​IMG] That was my reaction when I saw the caution tape around the whole area in front of a big office building. Good grief- is that owl still around even to hatch it? [​IMG]

5. swampwander

swampwander Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Mims, Fl
    That egg is about the size of a goose egg. And, yup, she keeps sitting on it. Idiots have to keep going up and trying to get a close-up look at it....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by