Andalusian Blue . . . laying brown eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bkbkbk, Nov 12, 2011.

1. bkbkbk

bkbkbk Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    Hi There,

I have an andalusian blue hen that we bought same time/same age as two barred rocks. The rocks have been laying for 6-8 weeks, but we have yet to see any white eggs. Althought smaller than the rocks, the blue looks mature and very healthy.

Could blues start much later? Could she be laying brown eggs (although the egg count does not suggest this)? Any other ideas? I am pretty darn sure she isn't a rooster :).

bk

2. bkbkbk

Nov 12, 2011
    Just replying to my own message to get back to first page :)

3. ColbertChick

ColbertChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    I was wondering this too. My Andalusian is black with white spots near her ears. I read that this means she should lay white eggs. She is now 7 months old and I haven't seen a single white egg.

4. bkbkbk

Nov 12, 2011
    Mine looks more or less just like this one:

http://mrs.jaredyates.com/pages/chickens/tbchickens_files/image137.jpg

I am pretty sure that is the "blue phase" but I thought they all were supposed to lay white? But like I said, the egg count suggests to me that she isn't laying at all. I have a black sex link, a buff orp, and two barred rocks in addition to her. I get 4 eggs once in a while. Usually 3. Occasionally 2. This sounds like those four are laying, and the blue andalusian is not.

Are there ever "eggless" hens?

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

If she's laying, the eggs will be white. How old is she?

6. bkbkbk

Nov 12, 2011
    Right at 7 months. The two barred rocks, within a day or two of being exact same birth date, started laying 6-8 weeks ago or more. Is it possible for a hen not to lay eggs at all?

7. bkbkbk

Nov 12, 2011
    UPDATE: New Years Day . . . . at over 8 months of age, I found a white egg today. She is finally laying. Anyone ever heard of a hen beginning laying at such an age?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by