Andalusian Blue . . . laying brown eggs?

bkbkbk

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 12, 2011
Hi There,

I have an andalusian blue hen that we bought same time/same age as two barred rocks. The rocks have been laying for 6-8 weeks, but we have yet to see any white eggs. Althought smaller than the rocks, the blue looks mature and very healthy.

Could blues start much later? Could she be laying brown eggs (although the egg count does not suggest this)? Any other ideas? I am pretty darn sure she isn't a rooster :).

bk

I was wondering this too. My Andalusian is black with white spots near her ears. I read that this means she should lay white eggs. She is now 7 months old and I haven't seen a single white egg.

Mine looks more or less just like this one:

http://mrs.jaredyates.com/pages/chickens/tbchickens_files/image137.jpg

I am pretty sure that is the "blue phase" but I thought they all were supposed to lay white? But like I said, the egg count suggests to me that she isn't laying at all. I have a black sex link, a buff orp, and two barred rocks in addition to her. I get 4 eggs once in a while. Usually 3. Occasionally 2. This sounds like those four are laying, and the blue andalusian is not.

Are there ever "eggless" hens?

Right at 7 months. The two barred rocks, within a day or two of being exact same birth date, started laying 6-8 weeks ago or more. Is it possible for a hen not to lay eggs at all?

UPDATE: New Years Day . . . . at over 8 months of age, I found a white egg today. She is finally laying. Anyone ever heard of a hen beginning laying at such an age?

Back
Top Bottom