Andalusian Cock Or Pullet???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by radiodog, Mar 2, 2011.

1. radiodog

radiodog Songster

Jan 1, 2010
    Summerfield NC
    I don't see any hackles or sickle feathers but its comb & waddles sure are big. Has little spurs too. I have not heard any crowing, nor gotten any eggs from this bird. Its missing a few tail feathers 'cause it decided to fly over the fence when two of my dogs were in the backward and, well, those tail feathers were just too tempting. I think that's why it looks more upright...plus andys are more upright birds anyway.

What do you think? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. teresa-78

teresa-78 Songster

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:Looks like a very pretty pullet to me... use a search engine as they have some great pictures of them.. yours looks like the pullets on there [​IMG]

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Andalusian hens have combs that are as large as the combs of many other breeds roosters.

4. megshenhut

megshenhut Songster

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    Looks like my hens, but I suppose it depends on the age of the bird. Mine are 10 months old now and both are laying well.

5. radiodog

radiodog Songster

Jan 1, 2010
    Summerfield NC
    my blue andy had a large comb, but this bird's comb is HUGE, plus the size of the spurs puzzled me. The bird is over 6mths old. I cracked open an egg yesterday that appeared to have a bulls eye spot on the yolk..sort of made me question the sex of this bird...all the birds are supposed to be hens. [​IMG]

I have two other splash andy pullets..total of three. I need to downsize my flock & want to rehome 2 of the andys...sure don't want to give my friend a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: