Andulasian? Brown Australorp? What Breed Is This Chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emmad15, May 4, 2017.

1. emmad15

emmad15 Just Hatched

May 3, 2017
    Hi everyone, we recently decided to get some chickens and were lucky enough to find four chicks that a middle school was hatching. We hatched them from the egg over spring break, and now they are around 3 weeks old. This may be too young to tell, but most of them already have definitive characteristics of their breed- it's just one that we cannot seem to identify. It is a medium brown chick, with brown wing feathers already coming in and a creamy yellow chest with white on the tertials. It has white rings around its eyes, very similar to the Australorp chick, but with the rest of its coloring being a medium brown rather than the Australorp's characteristically black coloring, we're not sure. We believe the little guy hatched from a tan egg rather than the white Andulasian egg color. We're pretty new to chickens, so if you have any ideas at all, please
    let me know!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Definitely not an andalusian, too thick. More than likely a mix, as well as a young rooster by the look of it. Thick legs and slow feathering.

3. emmad15

emmad15 Just Hatched

May 3, 2017
    Oh no, you're the second person to say it looks like a young cockerel! Guess we'll know in a few weeks. He/she is a very sweet bird, and my little brother's favorite, he's very attached to him/her. I also considered it may be a mix, the questions is a mix of what. That too may be answered in a few weeks! Thank you very much for your input, we're beginners and don't know much about chickens yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by