Anemic button quail chick, tiny troubles please help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by niffles, Dec 8, 2013.

1. niffles

niffles New Egg

Nov 9, 2013
    I recently had hatched a clutch of button quail out and one of the quail was an assisted hatch. He is smaller than all the other chicks and I think he must have piped through a vein because there was dried blood on his beak and shell once I got him out. His feet were curled in and he was very weak so I gave some electrolytes and he perked up almost instantly! He is three days old now and his feet are still a tiny bit curved but I ave also noticed his legs are cold when I pick him up and his skin is paler than the other chicks. I think the blood loss during hatch is causing these symptoms. Is there anything I can give him to get his blood back up?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is never good to help chicks out of the egg at hatch. Generally they are going to be weaker and many of them don't make it. Natures way of weeding out the weak ones.

You might try moving him to another brooder. A cardboard box will work. Lay a towel down in the bottom so his feet stay warmer. Do not cover the lid of the brooder with anything but a screen or wire. Add a brooder light. But start this little one a bit higher on the heat. Get the heat up to about 98 degrees. Put a thermometer on the floor directly beneath the heat source so you know exactly what temp it is.

Leave the heat up high for a full week. If he is still a bit weak, leave the heat up for another week. Don't worry about bringing the heat down yet. He needs more heat than the others.

Of course give him water and food. Sprinkle crushed food all around the floor so he knows where it is and dip his beak in the water when you put him in.

You might also put a small stuffed animal in their with him or an over turned feather duster in the corner so he has some feathers to snuggle into.

If you have any liquid vitamins or electrolytes, you might put them in the water. Also, pedialyte (sp) for kids works as well. See if this does not help get him thru this first week. If he makes it another week or two, he just might survive. This is the most critical time now.

3. niffles

niffles New Egg

Nov 9, 2013
    thank you for the quick response. Ive already got him in a separate brooder so he can eat and drink in peace, but I will try and get the heat up for him. Im giving electrolytes and I think I will try scrambling some of his moms eggs for a protein boost. I have never had to assist before and I will never again. Its so hard watching him fight for life, and because hes isolated, he is bonded to me which will make it much harder if he doesnt make it.

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Two Crows is correct follow these instructions and best of luck ....

One thing I try just for a shot of energy is a little sugar in the
    for about two days like a tee spoon to a quart is enough ....

gander007

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2 on the sugar. Will help with energy. As said above however, no longer than a couple days. Can cause diarrhea.

And if he will eat hard boiled eggs, feed them to him. The more he eats, the faster he can recupe. Don't leave any left over egg in with him, remove what ever he does not eat. It can grow bacteria in a hot brooder.

Keep us posted!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  6. niffles

niffles New Egg

Nov 9, 2013
    Well the little booger ate more scrambled eggs than I thought possible. I also tried fresh spinach but he was having none of that so I gave it to my adult quails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by