Anemic chicken from chronic northern fowl mite infestation

TurkeyCaruncles

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2019
New Hampshire
Hello!

Very long story short I brought a new girl home who, despite my best efforts, managed to spread northern fowl mites all over my flock. Now my white polish crested is absolutely covered. She’s extremely lethargic, pale, weak, etc. I’ve looked through the other mite threads, but I’ve tried everything that I’ve seen.

I’ve put permethrin everywhere, cleaned the coops, treated everyone with Frontline per my vets recommendation, but these nasty things won’t die! My poor girl is not doing well, and I’m concerned she won’t make it through the night. I’ve given her nutri-drench, scrambled eggs, molasses for iron. Has anyone had any luck bathing a chicken to get rid of mites? Maybe tea tree oil or some sort of flea shampoo for dogs would help?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Northern fowl mites can be the most stubborn of all external parasites to bring under control. Sometimes dusting or spraying with permethrin just doesn't cut it. If you can find a children's head lice shampoo containing spinosad, you can bathe your hen in it and it should rid her of mites.

However, that still leaves the premises which have likely been colonized by these invaders. This is a product that comes highly recommended by chicken experts. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042L8S7A/?tag=backy-20 But, it's very pricey.

I've used it and absolutely swear by it. It's a natural product, safe for chickens, works directly on them and on the coop and around the run. And the effect lasts for months and months. It's highly concentrated, you mix it yourself in water, and a small bottle, as expensive as it is, lasts for years. You will not need to buy any other insecticide.

I would treat the entire flock, the premises with the insecticide, and then feed your anemic chicken liver or canned mackerel a couple times a week until she bounces back.

Tea tree oil is toxic to chickens. Don't use it.

Back
Top Bottom