1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anemic chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kadjain, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I have multiple chicks hatching out that are shaking and can't use their legs.
    I gave the hens fresh grass everyday in the breeding pens to avoid hatching out anemic chicks.
    They hatch out fine then can't use their legs and shake. What's going on with them and can they be saved?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. Kadjain

The chicks died but if you know what it was please let me know.

Thanks again

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I don't know what it is. How old are they when this starts? Out of the incubator yet? Or still in it? If they are dried off, you might try getting some electrolytes into them, and some vitamins. There are packets of commercial electrolyte mix available as well as a product called Nutri-drench that I like. Good stuff to have on hand. Your problem could be related to hatching temp, genetics, or nutrition. Good luck.

4. Kadjain

They just hatched with the problem. I have electrolyte/probiotic packet that I was going to give them but then they didn't make it.

5. Kadjain

Here's what it looks like kind of. This ones legs are mild and it is stronger than the other and not shaking.[​IMG]

The legs want to stay out like that and it can't seem to bring them under its body like normal. The other ones were much worse, one of their legs was going straight back.
    Anyone know why? It's not all the chicks only a few so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by