Anemic hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by halvr, Feb 17, 2013.

1. halvr

halvr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    My indoor hen is doing poorly, and I hope I can get some advice before it is too late. She is about 7mos old, mixed bantam who.has yet to start laying. Her sister/clutchmate has been laying for 2mos. This bird cannot tolerate barn life and has been inside the house since the weather got cold. She was doing really well until a few days ago when I noticed she wasn't really eating her food as much as she was using her beak to toss it out of her bowl. She has become very thin, wattles and entire face is very pale. Compared to her sister, she has practically no color-feathers are muted and dull, she is smaller than her sister, and she just looks washed out. My husband thinks it is lack of sunlight and exposure to natural elements (ie, no bugs, grasses, etc). She is on good quality food, gets scrambled eggs and veggies, fresh water, is by a window in a large cage with wood chips. Her stools are normal. I did have a mite problem but that was treated successfully a month ago. She has been dewormed with fenbendazole and amprolium. I am going to go get her a vitamin/mineral supplement tomorrow along with a higher protein food. She loves mealworms!

I have had incidences of birds dying recently for unexplained reasons, but does this sound like a chicken disease? Everyone else seems ok. However, now that I think on it, I had 2 other chickens indoors recently. One had what I think was an ear infection that caused her to become severely neurological and didn't respond to treatment. I had her put down when she could no longer walk. The other had a severe case of mites and was very pale. I dusted him, dewormed him, seeemed to making progress and then he died suddenly. All our other chickens have been fine. These two birds came from Ideal Hatchery last July along with a bunch of others. Many of those birds have died over the past months- just suddenly stop eating, rapidly lose weight and keel over a couple days later. My husband believes some kind of disease came from the hatchery. (Yeah, I know...in my defense, we had just moved to a place where I could have chickens for the first time since I was young, so I got excited and ordered some---NEVER AGAIN!!!)

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

2. TacomaChickNMom

TacomaChickNMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    Maybe try adding an electrolyte supplement to the water?

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

BIrds do require a certain amount of sunlight or artificial UV light to facilitate the absorption of vitamin D. Even if near a window the glass will filter out much of the UV rays, especially newer windows.

I would also make sure she doesn't have mites again. They can be very hard to get rid off, especially getting the ones in the living quarters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by