Anemic looking Yolks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by laughaha, Aug 9, 2010.

1. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    My chickens are freerange and get fed a commercial layer feed, in addition to treats of fruit/dry catfood, etc. Last year their yolks were a GORGEOUS dark orange (when they weren't freeranging but were given lots of treats). This year they are a pale yellow (like store bought eggs). What gives? The chickens are coming out of a moult and only a couple are laying- could this be the reason why? All appear to be healthy and happy. I know I'm doing something wrong but can't think of what it is.

Got a bag of BOSS today to up the protein in their diet a bit if that's it. I will be worming them tonight (cuz I did the dogs and cats a couple days ago and they had a few dead ones in their stool today) so everyone is getting wormed.

I have ordered some dried kelp to mix up with their food.

Is there anything else I should do- I'm looking at the pale yolk color as an indicator that something is not right with them.

2. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Hmmmmm.
    Did you change your feed?

How good is the "free range" Lots of greens?

IMO, greens make the yolks dark, bugs and protein give the eggs good flavor.

ON

3. laughaha

May 5, 2010
    The greens aren't as good- we are in the process of turning a bramble laden field into a lawn but there is grass. What would be some good greens to grow for the chickens to make the eggs the nice deep orange that I miss?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Alfalfa, timothy, romaine, carrots, sweet potatoes, ... spinich...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  5. laughaha

May 5, 2010
    tytyty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by