Anesthesia Used on Pullet - Withdrawal Time for Eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hen-thusiast, Jul 27, 2010.

1. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Long story, but I forked over some $$$ for an injured dominique pullet. She's about a year and a half. They used anesthesia on her. She is not on antibiotics, but we are applying a topical antibacterial (Silver Sulfadiazine) to the site.

I was so worried about wound care and asking the vet questions, I failed to ask if there would be a withdrawal time for eating eggs. It didn't even cross my mind until an egg popped out today. Does anybody know? If not, I'm probably going to wait a week or two just in case.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Why not call the vet and ask?

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I agree call the vet.... Also how did/ is she handling the anistetic ? I am curious as I have heard that it can be very hard on them ...

4. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Yeah - I was going to call the vet when they open, but was just wondering what people here on BYC thought.

Quote:I've heard that anesthesia is hard on birds as well. I was really nervous when the vet said they'd be using it, but they deal with a lot of chickens and other birds. She is handling it wonderfully, much better than I handle it. [​IMG] She was a little groggy right after, but started perking up the first night. She's still not 100% a couple of days out, but she's also recovering from surgery.

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:I've heard that anesthesia is hard on birds as well. I was really nervous when the vet said they'd be using it, but they deal with a lot of chickens and other birds. She is handling it wonderfully, much better than I handle it. [​IMG] She was a little groggy right after, but started perking up the first night. She's still not 100% a couple of days out, but she's also recovering from surgery.

Awesome.. I wonder if their is a type of sedation made for birds..

6. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Songster

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    It depends on what was used for anesthesia. Injectables vs gas anesthesia. Many times, the birds are masked down with gas anesthesia. Ask the vet what was used- as it will vary. If only isoflurane or similar was used only, as far as I know- there is no withdrawal time. It gets breathed in, and breathed out- low solubility in tissues. If injectables were used, if there are no withdrawal times listed (and there are probably not)- legally, withdrawal time is for life. This is the sad fact for most antibiotics and dewormers as well.

7. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Well the vet said there is no withdrawal period.

Quote:Thanks mypicklebird - I just learned that the other day when the vet told me about lifetime withdrawal periods per FDA regulations. I'm assuming that since he knows this and he's aware of withdrawal times with antibiotics he must have used a gas anesthesia. I was hoping I would be able to talk to him directly, but it was all relayed third person.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by