Angel continued vent problems : (

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tia, Nov 12, 2011.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Has anyone used bag balm on their ducks. I was just wondering if it would harm ducks.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Sorry to read Angel is still having issues after all this time. Poor girl.

Ive never even heard of it before- I googled it to have a read. Unless someone can positively say it shouldnt be used- it could be worth a try- as long as it was only external use. In any event- maybe even just some plain old petroleum gel or lanolin on its own may suit your purpose just as well anyway.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:That about all Bag Balm is, I use it though but I have never used it on a vent. but don't think it would hurt at all.

4. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Thanks. She has been on antibiotics a long time, and I took her off and everything comes back. The vet said that she may just have to stay on them. I have one drake and five females. You would think that would be a good enough ratio of drakes to hens. She is happy as a clam out there with the other ducks... I hate to isolate her again. It isn't contagious whatever it is - because none of the rest of them have vent problems, or bumblefoot for that matter. The vet said she may be a "never do weller" or something like that. I will try that bag balm and see if that helps any. Someone told me to use nu-stock on her vent. I bought some, but it seems like pretty strong stuff. I am just wondering if the mating is just making it worse too.

5. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    Can you keep her from mating? Is there any chance that the antibiotics have killed her good gut flora that would keep her healthy? Perhaps taking her off and giving her probiotics would help? Did you give her a good check for any possible parasites, internal and external? Coccidia? I'm just throwing out any ideas I have that might have a bearing on vent problems. Poor girlie.

One I sure wouldn't do is to hatch her eggs and have ducklings from her, as far as breeding goes, she's a cull. Vigor is highly hereditary. Always breed for it.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    tia, didn't you say this was vent gleet? seems I remember that at one time. I would get her on some really good probiotics and even add Nutri Drench to her water, won't hurt none of the other ducks either. Get her immune system built back up. Being on antibiotics for so long has probably really compromised her system. Pulling for her and you. [​IMG]

7. tia

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I don't think it is gleet. No sign of parasites. I think it would be showing up in the other ducks too. Is Nutri drench like a vitamin. How do you give her probiotics? The only way to keep her from mating is to take her away from the other ducks. I did that before and the intro back into the coop was pretty dramatic. It is hard on her to be by herself. I kept her in the house with me for several months, but I think she was pretty lonesome. If that is the only way I can do that again.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    No, taking her away from the others is not the only way to keep her from mating. Why not remove the drake? Repeated mating will very likely exacerbate the problem.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  9. bathwater85

bathwater85 New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    I sent you a Private Message. PM. Please read.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by