angel food cake gluten-free

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Double Kindness, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Double Kindness

Double Kindness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    I make a lot of goodies with eggs, and I have been making custard based ice cream for a while now and that leaves me with a lot of egg whites.

I also have celiac disease, so learning how to bake again has been challenging!

I made a fantastic gluten-free angel food cake last night. It took no time at all and wasn't as complicated as I had thought it would be in my head.

I'm also at high altitude and needed no adjustments.

10 large egg whites, or 1 1/2 cups egg whites
    1/2 cup potato starch
    1/2 cup rice flour
    3/4 cup sugar + 1/2 cup sugar separated
    1.5 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 tbs vanilla extract

In mixing bowl add the egg whites at room temperature and whip until doany add cream of tartar and salt and whip to soft peaks. Add the 1/2 c sugar 2 tbs at a time until stiff peaks.

Sift the starch, rice flour and 3/4 c sugar and fold gently into egg whites until incorporated.

Spoon into 10" ring mold/bundt pan and run a knife through it to get out large air bubbles/pockets.

Bake on lowest rack in the oven at 350f for 50 minutes until the top is dry and golden brown and invert pan directly onto a soda or ketchup bottle to cool. Run knife through center ring after cooled for 1 hour.

2. Double Kindness

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    I just love this cake! I'm making it again this afternoon. [​IMG]

3. Double Kindness

Jul 25, 2014
    CO
    [​IMG] I made this today. Last week I made the angel food cake without cream of tartar and it lacked much texture wise. So I did it over again today and it turned out fantastic!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by