Angel Food Cake

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Aug 13, 2007.

1. This is the recipe I use:

*From the Fannie Farmer Cookbook
    Save egg whites until you have enough to make this cake. With no egg yolks and no fat, this is a no-cholesterol cake.

2 cups egg whites
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    1 cup cake flour

Preheat oven to 325 F. Beat the egg whites until foamy, add the salt and cream of tartar, and beat until soft peaks form.
    Add the vanilla, then gradually add the suger, beating until stiff.
    Sift the flour over the whites and gently fold it in.
    Bake in 10" tube pan for 50 - 60 minutes, until a straw comes out clean.
    -----------------------------------------
    I picked huckleberries this morning and decided to be brave and fold a couple of cups of berries in the final batter.
    The only thing I ever added to the recipe before is grated lemon zest (yummy), I'm waiting to see how the Huckleberry Angel turns out [​IMG]

I make this cake about once a week --- it makes nice muffins, too.
    Anybody have another cholesterol-free recipe or other add-ins to give it more variety?

Thanks,
    Lisa

2. BooHiss! The berries made the cake fall [​IMG]
    Just a big gooey mess in the bottom of the cake pan ---Hubby said 'tastey mess', as he was eating what was stuck.
    I guess the answer is to cook the Angel Food Cake recipe 'as is', and add toppings after the fact.
    On the other hand, lemon zest and 2 TBS of lemon juice didn't affect the rising.

Lisa

3. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Try getting some jolly ranchers...I like the original flavors...then crush them and fold in!

It's delicious!!! Different flavor in every bite!! Yum!!!

Edited to say I also use the different colored sprinkles...but once you do the jolly ranchers...it's hard to go back! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  4. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Also wanted to say that I want to try making one with Nerds...you know ...the candy! I think that'd be kewl!

5. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Anybody tried the nerd version yet? I gotta try that with the Jolly Ranchers! I think my three favorites would be interesting: watermelon, green apple, & peach! All the STRONG ones! It would be pretty at least.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by