1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Angel Food Cupcakes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ClareScifi, Mar 20, 2012.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I'm craving homemade angel food cake, made using my hens' fresh eggs. But I don't have a full-sized oven, only a little toaster oven.

So do you think I could find an angel food cake recipe that would work for making cupcakes? That's the only sized pan that will fit in my toaster oven.

Is there such a thing as an angel food cupcake recipe? I was thinking traditional angel food cake batter might not do right in a cupcake tin, since you use the special angel food cake pans to make angel food cake?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I've never made them, but if you google "Angel food cupcake recipe from scratch", you will come up with some recipes. Sounds wonderful! [​IMG]

3. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks, Yay Chicks! They are in the oven baking right now. I found this super easy recipe:

http://cupcakesandcrinoline.com/2009/02/angel-food-cupcakes-light-and-easy/

I fed the yolks to the cats. I'll bet their fur will really shine!

I accidentally poured a bit too much almond extract in the recipe (I substituted one t of it for the vanilla extract), so I'm thinking they'll be really tasty. They sure smell good baking!

I figure it's a great way to celebrate the 1st Day of Spring and my 25-week old rooster's finally taking his first dust bath! I guess that is how he is celebrating his first Spring Equinox-- with his very first dust bath! In the past, he's only taken baths in dirty pine shavings. LOL.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Enjoy! Your post reminded me of the angel food cakes my mother used to make and top with fresh strawberries. Mmmmm...

5. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Yummy! Strawberries and angel food cake are perfect together! I need to buy some strawberries. Oh, I have strawberry plants that should start producing, if the chickens don't get to them first.

I didn't have any strawberries, but I found pink frosting, cherry-flavored, to put on the cupcakes. I think pink frosting is so pretty on angel food cakes.

Recently, I went to Orson Gygi and found angel-shaped lollipop molds. Next time I make a regular angel food cake for a church potluck, I am going to put white chocolate in the molds and set the candy angels atop my angelfood cake. I will frost it white. I think that will look so cute, and then sprinkle the whole thing with coconut, and maybe put coconut in the lollipop molds to look like angel feathers.

6. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Question: We just had 6 cupcakes to eat, and they were so tasty warm from the oven.

Do you think the batter would hold over if I put it in the fridge for baking later, or do you think I should bake the remainder of the cupcakes now? I'm not sure whether the batter would stay light and poofy like it is now, if I put it in the fridge?

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You could always try it and see what happens, but I suspect because angle food depends so much on trapped air that your batter would go flat if you try to store it.

8. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I think you are probably right, Oregon Blues. I baked them all up yesterday and just devoured 3 for breakfast, with my coffee. My goodness, they are tasty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by