1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Angel Food Ministries...do you know about it?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Parson's Wife, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]
    Angel Food Ministries is a blessing. Our church participates in this program...thought I would let ya'll know about it...
    www.angelfoodministries.org
    This is their website, you can check the menu, and for a host location near you...they are in almost all the states, in many locations within the states.
    $30 for the monthly menus, plus they have specials. They accept food stamps, cash, or money-orders.
    There are no forms to fill out, there are NO income requirements, and the food is all top quality, no seconds, no damaged.
    You pay $30 for the menu items, through Angel Food. This would cost around $70 in your groceries stores.
    The Host site, (usually churches), ask only for your name, name of person going to be picking up, phone number and address, this is for their records only. Number so they can call and remind you it's pick-up day, if you are late, and address so they can send you a monthly flyer with the new menu...the menu changes each month.
    If you have questions...let me know.[​IMG]
    This is all volunteer work, your host site, may want workers as well. Our church members are great....they turn out in full force on order and and distribution day!
    Anyway thought someone might be interested in saving money...I always am.

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Maybe I'm retarded (shut up Wildsky) but I do't get it.

If I'm to buy a $30 box of food (worth $40 to $70) how is that helping someone?
    DO profits go towards feeding people?
    I can easily buy $70 worth of food for $30 just by comparison shopping and
    Costco (vs Stop & Shop's or Kroger's crazy prices).

I can see it as a great thing if I know a disadvantaged family and want to buy
    them a box of balanced food. Buying a poor family a case of creamed corn just
    isn't the same.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Well, the savings is...you are buying for You! Or someone you know, or someone you want to help. [​IMG]
    The menu for Feb. is posted on the site, take time to check it out...it may or may not be something you are interested in.
    Also, I LOVE to coupon shop! And this is just another way to add to your pantry at a reasonable savings.
    The money goes to Angel Food....click on the site and you will see a page about distribution cost, and how this works.
    There are lot's of folks who don't take time, apparently like you and me to save coupons, and comparision shop, and this is just another benefit of being a wise shopper.[​IMG]
    And others don't have the time, means, or location wise it's not possible to get to large discount chain stores.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2008
  5. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Angel Food ministry is set up in a way that people find out about it through word-of-mouth and local announcements. No specific list of "correct" food buyers.

So, people usually have one of two responses:
    1) How is this helping people if anyone can order? (basically your response Purple?)
    Not many people in this category find it worth their while to specifically sign up for a box of food, and then get to the distribution site on the correct Sat. morning to pick it up. Too much 'effort'. Yes, these are the same sort of good price deals you can get by comparison shopping. People in this category tend to ignore the whole thing, or, as Purple Chicken suggested, buy a box of food to donate to the local Food Pantry, or for the distributing church to deliver to those in need.

2) You mean, they do all the work of comparison shopping, I don't have to have a Costco/SamsClub membership, and I don't have to waste gas driving to 4 different stores to get the cheapest item?
    The people that Angel Food helps the most, are those for which gas, memberships, and comparison shopping are difficult. What if you don't have a car, and take a bus to go grocery shopping? You don't have nearly the opportunity to do the price checks and multiple stops. For these, Angel Food is an excellent resource.

It's not a profit thing. Its all volunteer and so the savings are passed on to the buyers, helping them that way. So, its a different take on helping people access affordable food.

It also seems to be working very well at self selecting for the target group.

Does this make more sense, PC?

6. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    PC it helps people like me. The church volunteers do all the work and find great food just to help those who are down and out or just need a helping hand. Angel Food Ministry is a blessing because they do this just to help feed those in need or not.

NewGuineaChooks you explained it perfectly and thanks parsonswife for sharing.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  7. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    The S.H.A.R.E. Food Program is very similar. We have both in our area. I always forget about them though! When I have remembered it has been a great blessing to us.

8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I hope no one was thinking I was criticizing this. I am VERY skeptical
    of most charities since most pay less than 20% of their incoming contributions
    to the actual people(or animals) who need it. Many have executives that
    make a lot more money than any of us here do. When I first looked at the
    site it started to scream "MARKETING" to me. I also looked it up on a few
    charity watch sites and can find no ratings or financial info for it.

I can see how this could help people, in more ways than one. It also pays
    $1 per box of food to the churches sponsoring it. This is questionable but
    I will assume it's good intentioned. I understand that there are a lot of small
    country churches that really need the financial help.

With all this said, if I had a neighbor who needed help, this would be a very easy
    way for someone to do it. Also, since part of that $30 goes to your church and
    community, I see nothing wrong with taking advantage of it, whether you are doing
    it because you need the help, can't get out to do the coupon/comparison shopping,
    or just want to save a little money.

Interesting thread. I'm glad you posted it and thanks to everyone who tried
    to explain this to someone with limited intelligence (Stick it Wildsky).

Don

9. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I have been using the SHARE program for a few years now. I sponsor a family on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota and it's a great way for me to be able to order and get food to them. The Mum especially loves the fresh fruits and veggies which are a real treat for them.

10. Quote:I agree! I will put this plug in though...Your local American Legion/VFW post contributes 100% of fundraising efforts to programs for local troops stationed around the world. I emphasize local!

Yes, I am a member of the American Legion.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by