1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Angel Food Ministries-- Food Bank--?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Spookwriter, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    In the lines of passing along information, does anyone here
    deal with or know of ANGEL FOOD MINISTRIES food bank out
    of Monroe Ga?

Delivered natiowide through local churches once a month, you
    buy a "unit" that is supposed to feed a family of four for a week.
    You would have to check their website to see the different menus
    for that month. I also believe they accept food stamps.

I think that's sort of how it works. Never bought anything myself, but
    we have delivered it a few times in the WV area.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
  3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I was getting the signature box from them every month until this summer, I wasn't going to be able to pick it up one month and just haven't gotten back into it. I liked it a lot, though lately their 'meat' doesn't seem to be all that great. It was the only way my family would ever get beef, other than hamburger, so I really liked that [​IMG]

Obviously I didn't deal with the one in Monroe GA, but there are pick-up sites all over the country. I've had people tell me they could do better at different stores, and I say more power to them. I have Save-a-lot, Wal-mart, IGA, and Kroger stores in my area and I know I couldn't get the same things from them for the same price that I do from AFM.

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I keep an eye on the site to determine when I want to buy a box or two. They have more varieties in the boxes now, and I've been pleased with the food we get. It's a good price for all in one pack of food. I think I have some pictures of the food you get from previous boxes.

It's not just for those who can't afford more, it's like a Co-op. The more folks who buy, the cheaper they can get the food for everyone. Our dropoff also orders at least one extra to give away to someone who can't afford it, or just to give to the food bank.

Pics from a while ago:
    [​IMG]
    That's the "Signature Box" for that particular month. $30

[​IMG]

The fruit and veg box, was $22 then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by