Angel/weird wing on an adult goose?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by EeyoreD, Jul 28, 2014.

1. EeyoreD

EeyoreD Songster

Mar 26, 2012
    Attica, MI
    I would ask if this was possible but it clearly is. I have a 4 year old goose (meaning goose - female. One molt before me, three molts with me with no problem) that has one side of her wing feathers coming in from molt like an angel-wing scovy. Her right side is tucked in (but I'm not sure if they're molting and growing back or just waiting to shed), her left side has clearly shed and is growing back but this four year old female goose has about 5 blood feathers (they're mostly straws with some fuzzy ends) at about a 45 degree angle from her body. Meaning most of her wing is growing right but there are 4-5 things... How does that even happen?

I have never seen this (though I'm admittedly not an expert what I mean is this goose hasn't crapped her wing up this bad before!), I didn't think this happened with adults and some days they seem like they're going to fold back in and grow normal, many days they don't.

I've run into this occasionally on my young, maturing (male)scovies, that it's happening to a 4-5 year old goose is baffling. Angel Wing is a maturing bird's problem, no? Not a fully matured bird in molts problem? Will it correct itself? Do I have to lose fingers to wrap it? (if I have to wrap it I'm losing fingers, I know my buffs. I'm willing to if it's necessary but only if it's going to to help but what the heck 4 year old bird ends up with Angel Wing?! It's a mature goose will it self-correct?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: