Angel Wing and sexing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lechez, Jan 14, 2017.

1. lechez

lechez Just Hatched

Jan 14, 2017
    Central Coast, Australia
    So I bought a black duck today who is apparently 11 weeks old (and a black and white one I bought a couple of months ago from the same lady) and has what looks like angel wing. (I got there to purchase him and I felt sorry for him and bought him anyway). I have taped his wing in hope it will get better but I am not sure if he is too old to change it now. Also, the lady said they are cross Indian runner cross Muscovy but when I was there I didn't see any Indian runners, only a Muscovy mother and father. How can I tell if I have a male or female? I feel they look very different so I'm thinking the black one's a drake and the black and white ones a female. Can anyone tell from the photo?
    Also do they look like pure Muscovy or Mules? Thanks in advance :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

@Miss Lydia She knows Muscovy Ducks....Also can help you with info on the angel wing.....

Cute Ducks.....

Cheers!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @lechez Welcome to BYC

Looking at your ducks I don't see carnuckles on the face of your blk white one? are there any there? the blk one looks like he has some. I'd say drake on that one and the other looks like female but look at legs from front drakes legs are set farther apart than female and female when walking looks to almost step on her own feet her legs are set close together.

As for angel wing if his flight feathers have grown in you may have to wait till molt once he molts and new feathers begin to grow in then wrap @jchny2000 did this with a goose and it worked. But def try this time.

And lets ask @FoodFreedomNow about the ducks she has a mix of Pekin/Runner and also has Muscovy maybe give an opinion if these are full Scovy. I would think you would be seeing some carnuckling by now.

1 person likes this.
  4. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    I'm not a expert but the white one looks like a pekin and muscovy mix I've never seen a muscovy have orange feet like that. The black one definitely looks like a male.

1 person likes this.
  5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I think the black and white one could be a Runner cross...the foot color looks Runner (orange) to me, and the bill shape also suggests Runner; like @KarateHorse said, though, Pekin also have orange feet and the body shape and stance looks very similar to my Pekin/Runner crosses. The black one's coloring looks Muscovy to me, but the head shape doesn't look entirely Muscovy...I'd guess is that the black one is probably a cross, too.

Very nice-looking ducks! [​IMG]

Adding photo:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  6. lechez

lechez Just Hatched

Jan 14, 2017
    Central Coast, Australia
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

@Miss Lydia [email protected] I think the black and white one may have the tiniest bit of carnucle on her face. I messaged the lady I bought them off last night and she said the black and white is cross runner and muscovy and the black one she thinks is a muscovy but she wasn't 100%. So now I am fairly certain the black one is a drake, now I'm a tad panicked after reading up a bit on muscovy drakes and their temperament and hassling the female. Also I have four hens and read they can try and mate with the hens [​IMG]Do i need to buy more female ducks for him now? I really only wanted the two. He seems super placid but I guess he is only young and hasn't reached his sexual maturity yet.
    Also @misslydia the tape i used yesterday came off so I will have to go buy some different tape today and try again. Poor Fella! He looks so strange with his aeroplane wings. Thanks for the info re angel wing taping, when do they go through a molt?
    The pekin x runners are gorgeous @FoodFreedomNow [​IMG]

7. FoodFreedomNow

Thank you! [​IMG]

I personally wouldn't worry about getting more ducks for your drake until/unless you start to see issues. I have a lot of drakes in my group, and I've never seen any try to breed a hen; on the other hand, I have seen a cockerel try to breed a duck.

BTW, Vetrap-type elastic bandaging works great for correcting angel wing. I was able to do it once on a fast-growing drake and his wings were completely normal afterward.

1 person likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My Muscovy drake is pretty laid back. I also have lots of hens and have never seen him do anything to any of them except pull feathers if they get in his space. . lol So hopefully your drake will behave himself.

9. lechez

lechez Just Hatched

Jan 14, 2017
    Central Coast, Australia
    Ok I will wait and see how they go together. Thanks!
    @FoodFreedomNow
    I bought the Vetrap stuff you mentioned. I have wrapped him three times round his body and he still keeps pulling at it with his beak and I don't think it will last the day. How many times around its body would you wrap it? Its so hard to catch and hold him, he's so strong and feisty! Also can he swim in the kiddy pond with it or should I drain that and just have water bowls until we take it off in a week?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  10. FoodFreedomNow

Three times around should do it, but it needs to be snug, so he shouldn't be able to get it off. There's a tutorial here that may be helpful for the wrapping part: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644239/angel-wing-in-ducks-how-we-wrap-to-mend-it-pictorial.

The instructions say to "apply 3M Vetrap Bandaging Tape at approximately 50% stretch. Applying too tightly may impair circulation. Apply last wrap with no tension; press firmly into place" (http://www.medi-vet.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=38789).

It's stretchy stuff, so if you think it's too tight, you can always cut it off and re-wrap (I know they can be very uncooperative so this isn't an appealing prospect). I wouldn't let him swim until the wrap comes off, too.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by