Angel wing duck

Dodad

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2021
One of my ducks ("G") has Angelwing on both sides. I have taped it for two days and it failed. I wrapped two more times to see she pulled it off. The fourth
Screenshot_20210531-194723_Blink.jpg
time she is wearing a boys baseball pant leg. It's staying on! I decided to keep it on her a week this time.

My concern is her diet. I gave the two "babies" game bird starter until recently...I'm transitioning them to game bird grower now. Someone posted I'm buying the wrong stuff. My question is how in the world do you individually feed 4 ducks (I have ,mom, dad, and a week older sister (I think). What do I give the angelwing duck? The other ducks? Can they all eat the same thing? Some advisor suggested flock grower...

One of my ducks ("G") has Angelwing on both sides. I have taped it for two days and it failed. I wrapped two more times to see she pulled it off. The fourthView attachment 2697451 time she is wearing a boys baseball pant leg. It's staying on! I decided to keep it on her a week this time.

My concern is her diet. I gave the two "babies" game bird starter until recently...I'm transitioning them to game bird grower now. Someone posted I'm buying the wrong stuff. My question is how in the world do you individually feed 4 ducks (I have ,mom, dad, and a week older sister (I think). What do I give the angelwing duck? The other ducks? Can they all eat the same thing? Some advisor suggested flock grower...
I will add someone recommended adding oats to "G's" diet to cut the protein back.

I don't when I have ducklings chicks or goslings everyone eats starter grower, when they get to laying age they all get layer with starter mixed in. 50/50. works for me. Never had a case of angel wing. I like your way of treating it should work, But watch her in water wrapped like that. A ladies panty hose cut down to size works too.
Some say it's the protein some it's genetic no one knows for sure. I have also fed Purina Flock raiser to all my birds without angel wing development. The only reason I stopped feeding Flock Raiser is because I went to a NON GMO feed.
They also now offer duck pellets if you don't have other poultry.

I agree switching to an all flock feed (also called a maintenance feed) at this point would be best. Game bird feeds are often too high in protein for ducks. A lot of people use Mazuri Waterfall's maintenance feed and absolutely love it so if you can afford it, it's a great feed to try. Unfortunately my ducks refused to eat it after several different transition attempts so I use Kalmbach's Non-gmo maintenance feed and my ducks do very well on it.

Onesies work good too! I wrapped the wing tips in vetwrap and then put on a onesie with the bottom cut off (like a small baby tshirt) and taped it so it was more snug and the arms didn't flap. He looks comfy to me!

Attachments

• 20210614_073828.jpg
    20210614_073828.jpg
    913.8 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom