Angel Wing or just plain growing up?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Snipes, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Snipes

Snipes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    One of my duckies seems to have perhaps the beginning of angel wing on one of his sides. What do you think, let him play it through or tape him up?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Hmm look slike angel wing to me. IF its caught early enough in some cases it CAN be saved you know [​IMG]

3. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

MINE HAD THE EXACT SAME THING waited and within a week one was A-okay and and the other a day or so later...Id say WAIT [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Looks like angel wing to me too. I would suggest wrapping it for 3 days in the daytime only and see how it goes.

5. Snipes

May 15, 2010
    Well, may as well not chance it and go ahead and wrap him.
    How does it happen on only one side, and the other two are unrelated hmm? Curiousity button pushed!
    What sort of wrap should I use, and where can I get it? I saw that vet tape is good on a thread about angel wing, so can I stop into a vet and request a foot or two of it then?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  6. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    You can buy vet wrap at places like Rural King. Last time I bought a roll it was about 1.00 a roll. Comes in may colors, and can be found in the horse/farm animal section.

7. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    That is how my little A. Spotted looked. Just on one wing. I waited, and it went away.

8. Snipes

May 15, 2010
    Lol, I live in Seattle, not many places like Rural King [​IMG]

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    this is what happens with too much protein in their diet. get a food with lower protein until this clears and it should be fine takes a week or two-I have never wrapped mine-I hear alot of people do but I never did. The lowered protein food did it-then after a few weeks after the wings go back to normal I slowly added their old food back in-all good:)

10. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Angel wing hits most of the time only one side, but it can hit both. You can get the vet wrap at the vet or the feed store in the horse isle. It's about 2 dollars a roll, which will cover about 3 days. First wrap the one wing once and then wrap it around the body twice starting off near the legs and go once higher. You will need to get the right tension so the duck does not get out of it, and you will need a helper wrapping the duck. You will get the hang of it really fast. It is important to wrap the wing first in folded up position or the duck may stretch out the wing under the wrap wasting your time. Please take the wrap off at night so the duck can stretch its wings and get the blood circulation going. I think you will be fine after doing this for 3 days. Angel wing is more a cosmetic thing, but a wing hanging out can be prone for accidents to happen. I feel it is best to treat it early. You duck may never fly, if it is a flying breed, even with treatment.

Almost forgot, pick a dull color like dark green or purple. Some bright colors may frighten the other ducks.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by