Angel Wing question

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Thinking about buying a 2 year old quad of white Sebastapols from a lady on CL. However I asked her if they had angel wing, and she said yes. Will they pass that on to their offspring? I'm thinking the AW was caused by lack of greens. As her pen is dirt and I doubt they get any greens.

However, if they were born with AW...will they pass that on, or can I help get rid of it if I breed them to a smooth feathered Sebbie? Thanks for any help....by the by she is asking $350.00 for the quad, is that a fair price? I bought a gosling from her (also had AW..again I think it was due to lack of greens in it's diet), for $75.00 a couple months back.

Thanks for any help

~ Aspen

ETA: She just said she bought them that way. so unsure if it's in their genes to produce AW...or if the owner before her also didn't feed them greens..or fed them too much protein?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Is she sure it's indeed angel wing and not twisted wing tip? I know several people who's bird have hatched out babies and the babies did not have it. I think it can be influenced genetically but has a lot more to do with the feed in it's early life.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I'll ask her...

Can that be fixed, if caught in the early stages of developement?

~ Aspen

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Okay, she said she does not know the difference between AW and TWT. She also said when she bought them they were on Wheat pasture.

Still thinking about it....

~ Aspen

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    TWT is when the last joint on the wing turns around (twisting) and is only a condition found in Sebastopols.

TWT is thought to not happen (or be greatly reduced) when breeding smoothes and curlies together. There is NO treatment for TWT, it is not correctable, is VERY common and can show up at the 2nd year molt.

AW is when the wing sticks out like a hitch hikers thumb, can be found in any waterfowl. Can be treated if caught very early through wrapping. Some believe it is weak wings that lead to it, others believe AW is caused by far too high of protien.

There is no preventing it, some wont keep and breed AW birds. However I have seen two parent birds who dont have AW have a clutch of babies and have 2 out of the clutch develop AW.

price would depend on the quality

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Thank you for your reply Celtic. : )

That makes alot more sense.

I decided to go ahead and get them. She came down to $300.00 for all of them. Acording to her the three females are 3 years old, last year was their first year to hatch and raise babies. She tells me that she has had good luck hatching them in an incubator, and they've been excellent mothers as well. We shall see.

What would be the best plan for these, Celtic? Should I try to get a smooth Sebbie gander to put with them, or leave this gander with them to see what I get? I was thinking I might try and keep most of the babies to see what I get from them. Also, is three females too many for one gander to handle? I thought it was better to keep them in pairs?

~ Aspen

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    with what you have and what you are getting shipped in you should be fine on gander to goose ratios. send me an email when you get them home with a picture if you want. Trios are fine as are pairs. I will run a few 1/3 ratios next year.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Glad to hear that. Thanks Celtic, I most certainly will. I really admire you as a breeder, you are so sweet, friendly, and always giving a helping hand. Thank You! [​IMG]

~ Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by