Angel wing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Eringm, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Eringm

Eringm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2016
    My duck has angel wing on the Right of it's body, how do I treat it ? I bought the duck not knowing it had this condition, is it dangerous ?

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Angel wing is not dangerous at all to their health, it is really just a cosmetic issue (it doesn't look very nice). IT will also make it impossible for the bird to fly, but most domestic breeds can't fly anyway, so that is not usually a concern. How old is the duck, and how severe is the angel wing? Can you post a pic of the wing for us? It is very easy to fix in young birds (Less than 2 months old), but gets harder (or even impossible sometimes) to fix if they are older than that.

Treatment includes wrapping the wing in the correct position, but for how long and how well it will work depends on how old the duck is.

If it's an older duck you can usually clip the feathers that stick out to help it look a little better and lessen the chance that the wing will get caught in things and injure the bird (fences, etc).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  3. Eringm

Aug 20, 2016
    It's only his right wing atm, Im not to sure how old the duck is, it has all its feathers and everything, the guy I bought it of said it will start to lay in about a months time. Does that help ?

4. Eringm

Aug 20, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have seen worse conditions that what your photos show.
    Your Duck will be fine. Will not kill or change the health of the bird.

6. Eringm

Aug 20, 2016
    Thanks for reasurance, and 1 more thing, I've noticed my drake is quite big and I haven't really seen many birds his size ? Is he rare ?

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

He only looks big to you....Normal Ducks too me!!

Enjoy and have no worries! They will be fine.

8. robinjs11

robinjs11 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

Yours looks too old to correct but it won't bother him. Mine could even fly before I clipped his wings and his is severe in both wings.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by