0iseau

Chirping
Apr 7, 2021
First time duck owner and a couple of my ducks developed a wing/wings that stick out. First we thought it was just the weight of all the incoming feathers. Thought it couldn't be angel wing as when they would spread their wings out (flapping them) wing looked normal.

Diet info: Fed duckling starter and grower and now fed adult food (need to looks at brand) Protein is definitely within the range it should be. They get fresh fruits and veggies as treats along with some dried crickets and mealworms. Rain (the one with both wings) and Yoda (only has 1 wing) were both fed extra niacin as they were becoming deficient. Have never given them bread or human foods besides the fruits and vegetables (all which are safe - peas, grapes, apple, blueberry, strawberry - are the most common but not fed frequently due to sugars)

I have a third, Sinclair, who's wing is starting to go as well. I don't know if this is because of the food or something else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies for bad photos, I can get some clearer ones if needed
OgpPBnN.jpg

7xCdEnY.jpg

WQDBVFW.jpg

Did you get them as ducklings? One of mine came from Atwoods and was sick when I got him. I fed him correctly but he still got angel wing so maybe it was caused from before I got him? And maybe that could be your case too?

First time duck owner and a couple of my ducks developed a wing/wings that stick out. First we thought it was just the weight of all the incoming feathers. Thought it couldn't be angel wing as when they would spread their wings out (flapping them) wing looked normal.

Diet info: Fed duckling starter and grower and now fed adult food (need to looks at brand) Protein is definitely within the range it should be. They get fresh fruits and veggies as treats along with some dried crickets and mealworms. Rain (the one with both wings) and Yoda (only has 1 wing) were both fed extra niacin as they were becoming deficient. Have never given them bread or human foods besides the fruits and vegetables (all which are safe - peas, grapes, apple, blueberry, strawberry - are the most common but not fed frequently due to sugars)

I have a third, Sinclair, who's wing is starting to go as well. I don't know if this is because of the food or something else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies for bad photos, I can get some clearer ones if needed
OgpPBnN.jpg

7xCdEnY.jpg

WQDBVFW.jpg
Yes this is angel wing. It's mainly from dietary issues/lack of certain vitamins but in rare cases can be genetic. If you bought them from a hatchery it could be the mother or father had it originally.

You can correct it with vet wrap/bandaging but you'd have to do it to all of them and check the wraps multiple times.

Did you get them as ducklings? One of mine came from Atwoods and was sick when I got him. I fed him correctly but he still got angel wing so maybe it was caused from before I got him? And maybe that could be your case too?
Definitely not possible for me. I hatched these - eggs from metzer farm. It could be genetic but hard to know for certain as I don't have access to the parents

Yes this is angel wing. It's mainly from dietary issues/lack of certain vitamins but in rare cases can be genetic. If you bought them from a hatchery it could be the mother or father had it originally.

You can correct it with vet wrap/bandaging but you'd have to do it to all of them and check the wraps multiple times.
I certainly tried my best to follow the diet, but these two did get extra protein. They were going bow-legged and had shakes. So that could be the cause. Though I definitely rather they have AW than leg issues.
We will attempt to wrap the wings and plan on seeing a vet just to be cautious. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom